HELP ! - ABS constantly engaging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrOzLov

Reaction score
Hi all

Recently I had a diff oil leak in my left rear wheel. Essentially the inner axle seal needed to be replaced, which I did. However, I have not changed the outer seal and the bearing as they were fine. I know some people recommend to do everything, but my mechanic said, if it is not broken, why go through the effort.

Anyway, that happened about two weeks ago and this morning I got the same symptoms with my ABS. What happens is following: the ABS axle ring and sensor get some oil on them and ECU starts misreading. This results in ABS engaging at very low speeds, usually just before the car stops. The entire car rattles for a second as ABS kicks in. It is super annoying and puts unnecessary strain on the breaks and the rest.

When I replaced the inner seal, I've also put in a tone ring, and I've done it properly with a tool which helped me install the buggers in a symmetric even way. In other words, the seal is not crooked which would result in a leek.

Am I doing something wrong!? Did I miss anything? Looking for some advise.

Cheers

Dr. OzLov

If the rear ABS rings are clear, there's every chance that (exact same symptoms) the same has happened to you that happened to me: my right front bearing started to disintegrate, filling the ABS sensor with muck and causing my ABS to fire off at lowish speeds. What was worse was that it was slightly erratic, and wouldn't do it for the mechanic when I first showed him. After leaving for my 80km drive home, I got halfway and it started worse, until I was getting a decent grinding sound on left hand corners (loading the right hand wheel) and the ABS firing whenever it felt like. ABS light came on and while I didn't try it, it would have prevented me from using 4LO.

So the question is - does the car start to make any additional noises while driving smoothly through left hand or right hand corners? Not suburban ones, pick a 45km/h corner and take it at 50km/h. If a left hand corner sounds louder than a right hand corner, your right hand front wheel bearing need replacing and it's the culprit.

Otherwise, if the fronts sound good, it might just be additional oil still making its way into your rear wheel sensor?

Tony, thanks as always!

I have not picked up any unusual noise but will give it a go just to be sure.

The symptoms are the same as they were before, while my seal was leaking.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Did bit of driving over the weekend. Was ok. The symptoms are not as bad as when my inner seal was totally busted. Fingers crossed, it is some residue. But it definitely does not sound as stuffed bearing.

Once question though: does the inner seal sit tight around the axle or is there a bit of space in between?

There isn't a lot of space. We're talking feeler-gauge, not "I could park a car in there". When installing the inner seal, you have to apply grease (MP is ok) to the inner lip so that the axle doesn't rub on it directly.

Crap I didn't do that and from what I remember, there was at least 2 t 3 mils space between the seal ring and the axle. Hmmmmm now I'm concerned....let me check it out over the weekend....or maybe even on Thursday.

Cheers

Dr. OzLov

Latest posts

Back