D40 wheels scraping on under mud guard - what to do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsch993

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just ditched the 20" 275/45s on my car for some steel 16s. They're fitted with a 265/75/16 tyre. As I left the shop, I realised that on most hard corners, especially if I turn right at near full lock, the tyres are grabbing the inner mud guard and scraping it hard. It's even worse when reversing.

Any tips or solutions? Will a lift kit actually help?

Thanks

+20

Odd thing is my previous rims, which were +20 too, but 275/45/20s, they only scraped on right hard lock reversing

Would hub spacers work? Or are they generally dodgy?

Spacers are illegal. Insurance assessors look for them - you don't want to have to foot the bill for someone's life-long care even though THEY caused the accident.

Spanish D40s (yours has indicators in mirrors so most likely Spanish, but check VIN which should start with 'VSK') run a +30 offset. If you run +20 your rims are 10mm further in towards the car. This website explains offset rather well.

Crap, What can I do then?
The only steel rims the shop sold to fit a 114.3 pattern were +20s and I assumed that was normal as my previous wheels were +20s.

Not sure I'd be too worried. A heat gun might solve the problem. A few guys here who went in search of more fun had to use heat guns to flex the inner guard away from the tyre.

I've never had the need to get under and beat mine into submission (standard tyres and rims for me) but nobody's mentioned needing to adjust the metal under there (except when going to really large muddies and then the snips come out!).

Haha, well I'm going for a 2" suspension lift in the next week or so, I'll hold out adjusting the guards until that's complete. If it still scrapes, I'll bring out the heat gun

Thanks for all your help

I'd say your front end has sagged hence the scrubbing. That is only an average size tyre that many people run without any problems. Once you have that lift I'll say it will be fine.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back