Harrop E-locker front locker install on V6 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorthumper

Reaction score
Harrop E-locker front locker install & Spatan rear, on V6 STX

I got my Harrop E-locker this week and have got the diff pulled apart and the bearings off. Here are the pics so far. There are 2 different part numbers corresponding to a range of diff ratios. This is because the carrier's are different sizes. You can see the part number in the photo below to suit 3.53:1 and lower diffs.

You can see from the photo's why you cant fit a LOKKA (from 4wdsystems) to the V6 STX/V6 550 Nav's as they have a 4 pinion centre instead of the 2 pinion.

You need to get a new seal for the drivers side diff output. The seal gets removed during the process to gain access to the large circlip that retains the extension drive shaft located in the drivers side extension housing. This shaft has to be removed so that you can remove the diff centre out of the diff housing. The drivers side diff seal is Nissan P/No 40227-EA000 ($14) and you may as well replace the other one while you are at it. The passenger side diff seal Nissan P/No 38342-EA000 ($21).

Harrop E-locker flyer
https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/system/download/Harrop Traction Application Guide.pdf

Installation Guide.
https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/system/download/A5Elocker Install Guide216_LoRes.pdf

h0.jpg

-
h24.jpg

-
h2.jpg

-
h3.jpg

_

Last edited:
Hey thats a nice kit... 1 question, is that just a straight bolt in job or do you have to gap and shim pinion clearances for the new centre?

You have to check and adjust the backlash and preload with shims if required. I haven't done the trial fit so I don't know if new shims are required yet.

Whole diff pic. (random pic from the web)

fd10.jpg

_

Last edited:
Sounds like you know what your doing... I wouldn't know where to start! It's good your doing the job yourself at least it'll be done right. Good luck with it.

This is where it gets hard, When I did my rear I had to get custom shims made, stock was 2.05mm I ended up putting in 1.8mm either side. Atleast the front diff in the D40 looks beefier than the D22 one. How do you retain the locker? I don't see any tabs on it

There's 2 sheet metal tabs (which I didn't take photo's of) that retain the electromagnet to the 2 carrier bearings on the right side. Are they the tabs you mean? Otherwise the diff centre is just a relatively tight push fit (when you have the shims selected right) into the housing.

There's a few other photo's of an ARB air locker install into a D40 front diff in this thread, (for reference).

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=11116&page=10

_

Last edited:
A couple more pics of the electromagnet and cam mechanism that rotates slightly and then pushes the 3 pins in to lock the diff.

h22.jpg

-
h23.jpg

_

Last edited:
I got the bearings off the old centre but ended up damaging the cage with my 3 jaw puller on one bearing. I went to SKF and the bearing size is non std. It must be a custom automotive only variant. I spoke to Nissan and they had to get some technical help to find the part number as it wasn't listed in their parts catalogue. The Nissan part number of the bearings is 38440EA000. I will order a new one and then I can put it together. I accurately measured the sizes of the e-locker and it's pretty much exactly the same size as the old one. That means I shouldn't need to change any shim sizes.

-

Last edited:
Awesome work, doing it yourself.
Not really possible by myself due to living arrangements.
Maybe something could be done at a Dodgy Mechanics day :)
After a job is found first...

I'm pretty sure if I dare to put a difflock (no matter what brand) on top of my missus kitchen bench I'll be out of here in no time,LOL!

Latest posts

Back