D40 money sucking piece of shit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Politics and religion are now to blame for all D40's being money sucking pieces of shit?

^ Maybe? But at least they're two subjects he can complain about if'n the D40 aint shitting itself!

Gents,

My ute can not be the only one that is a disaster - and Diff Technics said they are doing a diff a month these days for their local nissan dealers, Gemini diesel when I went past had 3 in for timing chains.

A leading had we just hire is selling his stx 12 month old done diff and box.

So magically the companies who have repaired mine and the other guy at work with me only have problems.

Must be that magically the statistics are wrong and I only know the 5% that are stuffed - and mine magically just has all the problems that are well documented ! Wow I must just really be unlucky with my D40.... shucks and all the rest are great i guess hahaha

I am so over a car that keeps costing thousands (diff at Xmas and lucth at easter ?) maybe I was unluckier that my second clutch only lasted 22,000 k's, so guess I was lucky the first one did 65,000k's. Wow maybe I should be thankful nissan are so wonderful my diff made it to 85,000k's not like other that let go at 30k's. If thats what you guys think is good quality ! Wowwww there some suckers i guess..... Ia gree the lift, big wheels, etc all have compounded the problems - but they boast 3.5t towing capcity which dput more load on the drivetrain than any of these mods.

Or maybe I am a realist and realise times in life you make a mistake and should not have bought somehting cause it looked good - or sold my D22 when there was nothing wrong with it.....

The D22 definatly was a good truck, gotta get new clutch asap, then rip off my 4x4 gear and cross camps into a drab looking hilux..... But you gentleman will be thankfull I am not cut anymore and happily looking at moving on without my navara which still looks great when detailed, but for reliabilioty and safety I need when out in the bush, my navara will be done as soon as i take delivery of my Sr5.

I bet you guys cant wait till all the bitching and moaning stops hahaha And best of luck with you ongoing nissan love afair, honestly best of luck and hope you guys dont have same issues i did ! Cause not fair anyone should fork out the kind of money I have in repairs on a new car. Or being treated like crap by the Nissan dealers !

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has suggested you are the only one that's had issues, these utes are sold worldwide by the thousands so others must have had issues as well.

Even this community of Nav drivers of which might have 200 regularly active members is only a small number of Nav's on our roads given that Nissan sell about 1500 Nav's a month in this country. However when you have claimed all Nav's are junk because of the few stories you've heard about it's no wonder you got bagged out. Uninformed idiotic statements made by a raving mind usually get bagged out.

We get the fact that you're pissed but you seem to think we all should be pissed as well despite the fact that most of us haven't had any issues.

I for one hope you don't stop bitching and moaning, your ravings, misguided blame and ridiculous attitude towards others is the sort of thing that I read forums for. Go fer broke laddie!!

I'd say good luck with your Toyota but obviously you wont need it because you are dead convinced that you'll never have a problem and it will be shit on a stick because Toyota could never make a lemon.

Gents,

My ute can not be the only one that is a disaster - and Diff Technics said they are doing a diff a month these days for their local nissan dealers, Gemini diesel when I went past had 3 in for timing chains.

A leading had we just hire is selling his stx 12 month old done diff and box.

So magically the companies who have repaired mine and the other guy at work with me only have problems.

Must be that magically the statistics are wrong and I only know the 5% that are stuffed - and mine magically just has all the problems that are well documented ! Wow I must just really be unlucky with my D40.... shucks and all the rest are great i guess hahaha

I am so over a car that keeps costing thousands (diff at Xmas and lucth at easter ?) maybe I was unluckier that my second clutch only lasted 22,000 k's, so guess I was lucky the first one did 65,000k's. Wow maybe I should be thankful nissan are so wonderful my diff made it to 85,000k's not like other that let go at 30k's. If thats what you guys think is good quality ! Wowwww there some suckers i guess..... Ia gree the lift, big wheels, etc all have compounded the problems - but they boast 3.5t towing capcity which dput more load on the drivetrain than any of these mods.

Or maybe I am a realist and realise times in life you make a mistake and should not have bought somehting cause it looked good - or sold my D22 when there was nothing wrong with it.....

The D22 definatly was a good truck, gotta get new clutch asap, then rip off my 4x4 gear and cross camps into a drab looking hilux..... But you gentleman will be thankfull I am not cut anymore and happily looking at moving on without my navara which still looks great when detailed, but for reliabilioty and safety I need when out in the bush, my navara will be done as soon as i take delivery of my Sr5.

I bet you guys cant wait till all the bitching and moaning stops hahaha And best of luck with you ongoing nissan love afair, honestly best of luck and hope you guys dont have same issues i did ! Cause not fair anyone should fork out the kind of money I have in repairs on a new car. Or being treated like crap by the Nissan dealers !

Or maybe you just cant drive to save yourself, Sorry shot was there and there was not danager. Honestly every make and model have there problems there is not one car on earth that does not have bad reviews. I flog my d40 i tow well over 3 tonne regualr in a manual and i have never had a problem. The biggest problem i think you have made is buying it new. Hence why i would never buy a new car ever because there is always problems

Honestly every make and model have there problems there is not one car on earth that does not have bad reviews.

If you read CarsGuide you'll find that just isn't true. Paul Gover can not say a negative thing about the Hilux, he recommends it every day both in print and on air. The Ranger is close to being that good he just doesn't think Ford's service is as good as Toyota.

Toyota can do no wrong!!That's unbiased media reporting at work :sarcastic:

No body idles there gear down anymore, its vital with nissan. Would never do a nissan diff or gearbox. You know sometimes oil has to be changed after you drive these things through water.

FYI Towed a 3 horsefloat since new that weights 3ton. Hasn't done a clutch.

If you want perfect, buy an expensive Q7 Audi.

Sounds like they took you for a ride. One of my injectors when bung on the D40. I was told that I had to replace all the injectors & the fuel rail and pipes . Just replaced the bung the injector and got it reprogrammed. It's running great for the last 10 months.

cg d40
Can only agree with you on this one. Have owned many different makes and models over the years and none of them were as big a piece of shit, or given me as much grief, as the D40.
That list includes a $150 EJ wagon. Man I feel old.

I love my D40, but I appreciate what it can and can't do...it's not a Patrol or Landcruiser. It loves beach work and touring, and that's exactly why I bought it. Even though I like hiluxs and rangers, I just couldn't justify the extra $15000-$20000 at that point in time.

Got a bullbar, towbar, canopy, arb bash plates, redarc battery controller and 2nd battery, and larger tyres. Gets me and the family to where we want to go and in comfort.

When the family grows further, may get a Patrol :)

Haven't been on the forum for quite a while but just read all through this thread. I also believe there are the odd lemons or Friday builds but in general, the Navs are as good as any utes and better than a lot of them.

I have had my D22 3.0L since new March 2007 and the only warranty work was for a split turbo pipe. It has only done 155,000 in the 8 years but it has towed a 2 tonne van across Western Australia for 3 months, down to Tasmania for 10 weeks, Victorian high country for a couple of weeks plus many shorter trips around Queensland and NSW. It has never missed a beat while my only complaint is the ridiculously high first gear. It has caught me on a few occasions where I have had to go into low range to start on a hill. But it has been a great truck but we have now upgraded our van to one that is around two and a half tonnes so with what is carried in the ute plus the van, we are nearing the tow capacity of the Nav. I figure it is better to sell the Nav while it is in great condition rather than use it to tow for another year or two and stuff it so it's worth nothing.

Navaras are great.

Sounds like they took you for a ride. One of my injectors when bung on the D40. I was told that I had to replace all the injectors & the fuel rail and pipes . Just replaced the bung the injector and got it reprogrammed. It's running great for the last 10 months.

I recently had an injector blow on my D22 after a fairly decent sized trip, had the same BS story from Nissan to replace this and that for big $$$$. Its all crap!, they'll try and upsell the shit out of you when it isn't necessary.

$580 for a new injector, $66 per injector to clean and test the other 3, $100 for reprogramming the injectors (how ridiculously long are injector codes!!) and I was off again - oh and I had a sticky SCV which was another $219, and Nissan tried to con me into shelling out another 3 grand for a new fuel pump.....they're unscrupulous twats!:wristy:
If you're out of warranty then get yourself a good mechanic - buy him some beers and do your best to form a good relationship and be someone he looks after. Its all the help needed to avoid these traps.

I recently had an injector blow on my D22 after a fairly decent sized trip, had the same BS story from Nissan to replace this and that for big $$$$. Its all crap!, they'll try and upsell the shit out of you when it isn't necessary.

$580 for a new injector, $66 per injector to clean and test the other 3, $100 for reprogramming the injectors (how ridiculously long are injector codes!!) and I was off again - oh and I had a sticky SCV which was another $219, and Nissan tried to con me into shelling out another 3 grand for a new fuel pump.....they're unscrupulous twats!:wristy:
If you're out of warranty then get yourself a good mechanic - buy him some beers and do your best to form a good relationship and be someone he looks after. Its all the help needed to avoid these traps.
Amen to that!!
Mine gets half of every jerky batch I make :)

Can you say -use all low range gears (this is with out the hubs locked) from first to fourth leaving the lights or on a hill start (on tar) then change to 2h whilst moving ?

No you cant. You must be in neutral with the brakes on or it wont change. If it did it would fcuk the fransfer box at the very least!

Latest posts

Back