faulty dash after flat battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi, i have the 2012 d40 2.5 dci le. the battery was flat the other day and since then the fuel/consumption/km is not registering. the trip meter an gauge are working. please help/ advise.

Welcome to the forum.

(Just as an aside: if you have used your real name for the forum, you might consider changing it - let me know).

It's possible that your ECU is just "confused" and resetting it will fix things. Replacing a battery - disconnecting all electrical power - doesn't necessarily reset the ECU, because there's residual power hanging about. We usually press the foot brake while the battery is disconnected to remove ALL of the power - this works (always). Your trip meter is completely separate (it's run by the instrument cluster itself, not the ECU) and the fuel gauge is driven purely by the signal from the tank's float sensor.

The ECU doesn't know how much fuel you have in the tank, it estimates that on a full tank you'll have 80 litres available and given consumption history you'll have a certain range based on the fuel it thinks is remaining. You can mess this completely by partial refills or by installing a long range tank.

Try a reset and see what happens.

I have a problem with mine,battery discharged - came home to hear clicking under bonnet,had to open manually the passenger door to get in . Disconnected the battery and charged,reconnected and made a few clicks and buzzing noises and the warning lights where all on - without the key in the ignition . tried the brake pedal but still the same . there is no extra power coming from the battery for accessories as it is being raped to go in the new one . maybe it is just telling me to fark off for replacing it

My dash indication disappeared after I had my winch installed (disconnected battery). I was trying to get it to display using the button on the dash with no success. Duno if it was just coincidence but when I pushed the 'I' button on the steering wheel it came good. Maybe it triggers something after a reset ???

Welcome to the forum.

(Just as an aside: if you have used your real name for the forum, you might consider changing it - let me know).

It's possible that your ECU is just "confused" and resetting it will fix things. Replacing a battery - disconnecting all electrical power - doesn't necessarily reset the ECU, because there's residual power hanging about. We usually press the foot brake while the battery is disconnected to remove ALL of the power - this works (always). Your trip meter is completely separate (it's run by the instrument cluster itself, not the ECU) and the fuel gauge is driven purely by the signal from the tank's float sensor.

The ECU doesn't know how much fuel you have in the tank, it estimates that on a full tank you'll have 80 litres available and given consumption history you'll have a certain range based on the fuel it thinks is remaining. You can mess this completely by partial refills or by installing a long range tank.

Hi Tony, can you change my username or assist in doing it?

This solved my issue, thank you :)

My dash indication disappeared after I had my winch installed (disconnected battery). I was trying to get it to display using the button on the dash with no success. Duno if it was just coincidence but when I pushed the 'I' button on the steering wheel it came good. Maybe it triggers something after a reset ???

OMG I was going nuts trying to restore fuel economy on dash after battery disconnect. I wanted to say thank you, something so simple solved the issue. The magical 'I' button to the rescue!!

:dancing1:

Our R51 pathfinder (D40 wagon) got a flat battery. After the jump start none of the gauges would work, indicators lights weren't working. The whole dash died except showing "PTR RDY" or something similar on the display. Only thing that would reset it was to disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset one of the control modules. Nothing in the manual about it, Dr Google found a fix quick smart though.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi I have the same problem, how do I do a rest please

Hi I have the same problem, how do I do a rest please

Easy done, but you cannot use a helper for this:

1) Write down the trip meter values if you're using them for recording economy
2) Make sure the PIN for your radio is handy
3) Disconnect the battery negative
4) Open the car door and press your foot on the brake.

The ECU will be reset. Reconnect battery negative, close the bonnet, get in and drive the car GENTLY for about 10 minutes (do NOT look at the Hiluxes in the lane beside you). Switch the car off completely, then the job is done. Drive it like you normally would.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, get back to us.

Latest posts

Back