Electric brake controller

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
Howdy gang.

I'll be needing to install an electric brake controller in the nav,
What brands are best models etc etc?

I'm aware of redarc tow pro elite for $220

What's out there what's best or better?

People on WikiCamps give the Redarc unit a good rap. I bought mine before the Tow Pro came out, mine's a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 which was basically the best that money could buy. Now that the Tow Pro is out, the Tekonsha has some competition - but I haven't tried the Tow Pro, I only have other peoples' word for it. My P3 is fully automatic and still customisable with a manual control for when it's needed (reduces sway and helps on descents).

There is a small amount of doubt about how "proportional" the Tow Pro is. With a heavy van, you want a proportional controller - the harder you press the brake, the harder it commands the van to brake (and similarly, the more gentle you are ...).

So what did you and Alicia get? I hope she's well.

Ok ill have a look at that one!
Are there any that you can hide away? I have long legs

It's for my work trailer actually. Starting my carpentry apprenticeship next year :)

The Redarc hides and only shows a button at the front and I'm not sure how controllable that makes the unit. I prefer having mine available so I can not only manually control it, but adjust it and see the output.

Well aware of your height Mike, and I think if your unit was mounted where mine is, you'd have no trouble - I'm pretty sure I've seen it mounted below the bank of switches under the air conditioning controls too, so that might be an option for you.

Can i tow a trailer fitted with electric brakes but not have a controller connected yet?
It's not a huge ass van or anything I've never delt with electric brakes before

5150da173c337fe9dc41241ac8a54ad1.png

If the compliance plate says it can carry more than 750Kg then it needs brakes that work even with no load.
If its over tow tonnes then the brakes must be electric.

Last edited:
I have a Tekonsha Voyager here too. Took it out to put the Prodigy in. It's ok, but our love of towing 2T or more through forest tracks highlighted its weakness.

The Voyager needs to be set up for the incline that it's going to be working on. This means, if you're spending most of your time on highways in the outback, set it up on level ground and you're good to go (this is what the manual tells you to do). However, on steep gravel descents, its sensor thinks you're already decelerating (because of the nose-down attitude) so as soon as you touch the brake, it gets quite happy with the trailer brakes. We had many a descent with the trailer sliding on us - that gets scary.

I've got it here, Mike, if you want it for a very special price it's yours.

My nav came with a caveman style hayman and reese controller but i'll be upgrading that to a tow pro before I get my new trailer with electric brakes fitted, the fact it is an active/progressive controller means it can cope with washing off 10k's on the freeway right the way up to an emergency stop with adjusting anything, plus you still have the option to put it into manual mode and i"m pretty sure you can still apply the breaks by pressing on the knob.

I did a decent amount of research as the controllers that are utilising the most "smarts" you just have to make sure you mount it very securely so that the accelerometer works properly.

Plus its nice to just have a small knob/button to mount rather than a bulky eye sore like most other controllers.

Thanks for the offer Tony I don't think it'll suit my needs.

Nedm1989 I'm with you, and your research. Although I have found a mixed bag of reviews about both.
Ultimately I think the redarc well be the go simply because of its size, and my dash already full with gadgets.

My question is in ansnswred though, if I go pick up an EMPTY trailer with electronic brakes can i tow it like normal if I haven't got the controller fitted yet?

JLA did answer - according to the law, even if the trailer is unloaded, if the trailer is capable of becoming that heavy, it MUST be equipped and connected ready to handle the maximum load.

From a policing point of view, it would be impossible to notice an unloaded trailer behind a car that was missing the controller. It might be an issue in an accident where the lawyers for the other side start looking for someone to pay the bill (even if you're the one who was wronged, if you're not compliant, you become the responsible party).

Ok well I think everyone has missed the point.

Would anything bad happen to the trailer.
If I drove to Albury to pick one up and it has electric brakes.

BUT I haven't had time to install a controller for the soul reason of needing to get it home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, the point isn't missed, that's what the last paragraph in my last post was trying to say.

You CAN do it. It's not legal, and if you have a stack, they can make you cough for everything. Even if it wasn't your fault. But you won't damage your car or the trailer by doing it. The electric brakes aren't like a truck's air brakes (air pressure is required to keep the shoes away from the drum vs electric power is needed to apply the brakes).

I have the tow pro elite. First brake controller ive used so dont let my judgement sway you any. Mainly went with redarc as i have their battery charger aswell and i really liked the idea of keeping it out of the way. The sensor box? is hidden away under the dash and just the control dial ( similar size to a home fan dial) pokes out from dash. The dial is simple and does everything needed from adjustment to display by colour. Blue or green is the mode - auto for highway and user controled for anything else and changes from a light shade of red to solid red when either light or full force on the anchors.

After being quoted 800 to supply and install a controller.
I hit up Facebook and got a p3 new of a bloke for 150 and another to fit it for 200!

Score

Latest posts

Back