Big ends

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spannaman

Reaction score
Big ends gone again!! I'm told the engine has to be lifted out to drop the sump off, can anyone advise on this?

you have to separate the engine from the transmission to get the 3 bolts on the back of the sump. so either pull the engine out or pull the gearbox just enough to remove the bolts

Why? I'm guessing it's cos the con men that fitted the recon engine with the new uprated big end bolts 3000 miles ago lied, either that or navaras are just shit, bit of both I recon, as you might tell reading between the lines I am not a happy bunny, I've been quoted anything up to £1600 to fit another but who do yer trust?

Thanks for the advise stelianos, might have a crack at it meself if I can find enough info on here

Is this a yd25 with the rotary injection pump and not common rail? If it is, apparently they are a common problem, although you'd think if it was a recon motor they would have been replaced with a better version...

Just reread your other post haha, maybe they lied and fitted the dodgy ones again...

good point. Spannaman has a non-cr yd25. something aussie never got and nz only got in 2wd.
so this is not a good place to ask about them. there is also a few other differences with them.
those YD25 had major issues with poor quality conrod bolts.
i think they where also changing the big end bearings as well to a different type.

The common rail has a silver rail and 4 lines for the injectors mounted on the right side of the motor. Then it has 4 wiring connectors along the top of the rocker cover, under the intercooler. That's probably the best description I can give. You could probably google for pictures of them

Thanks, any information is greatly appreciated, I shall be spannering it this weekend so doubt I shall be scowering this forum for info

I now know a lot more about navaras than I did this morning, I've decided to take the engine out, can anyone advise as to wether I should take the engine out with the gearbox or separate it?

never done this job on a navara but sometimes it is easier to leave the box on the engine but in your case it might be worth while to leave the gearbox in the car and just pull the engine out. oh, how is your clutch ? good opportunity to replace it while the engine is out.

Good plan, I presume it's possible to see the clutch plate then?
yes just unbolt the pressure plate from flywheel and inspect both the pressure plate running surface / flywheel running surface and how much meat is left on the clutch plate. if its been a long time since the clutch was replaced, you should consider doing it .

Ok engine is out, had to remove everything from the front & im considering cutting out the cross member to make it easier putting it back in

Sumps off & it don't look good, cranks rough, con rod same, do I go for a recon engine or rebuild this?

Latest posts

Back