modded xr6 intercooler into the 03 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nafmersa

Reaction score
hi all. been looking at intercoolers for a while and i personally cant see how the pricing is justified. so i have just bought an xr6 turbo intercooler for $30 and am going to send it out to get one tank modified. as for the piping i'll do all that myself. will keep you all apprised on progress as it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,014
front mount or top mounting the xr6 intercooler? mine is an 09 model and would liek to upgrade my intercooler or even pay someone to tig it and seal it up so it doesnt leak.

cheers
Rusty

What are you modifying on the tank?

well i was going to mod it to look like the ase front mount with that straight inlet angled 90 degrees but i have just dummied it up and it sits really neat behind the bullbar. so i may not mod it at all just have to figure out the positions of the pipes so theyre not sitting low. im going to go see a fabricator once its mounted about how much to get the pipes made out of alloy tube, if thats too dear then i'll make them out of stainless and wrap them with exhaust heat wrap. i dont intend on running a winch so there's heaps of room with it length ways.

front mount or top mounting the xr6 intercooler? mine is an 09 model and would liek to upgrade my intercooler or even pay someone to tig it and seal it up so it doesnt leak.

cheers
Rusty

front mount, try to eliminate as much heat soak as possible, i know there's alot of argument on the forum about heat soak issues and stone damage ect. but mine is more of a tourer and will be doing mostly beach work. i personally think front mount is better for touring but if you do alot of hard off roading then i would go with top mount and a fan to draw cold air cause in low range high rpm low speed heat soak would be an issue due to reduced air flow. but the threat of damage would be virtually zero.

some pics of it sitting roughly where it will go, have to take a few more bits off and relocate the washer bottle me thinks to be able to run the piping.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,846
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,477
Hi Nafmersa , mate I will be doing an intercooler on my zd30 as well and came to the same conclusion that the xr6 was the best choice they have high flow rates from standard so I've read so that's what I will be buying as well , good luck with the install cheers Ken.

i wouldn't call it high flowing.
while the falcon is a bigger motor it runs a lot less boost. even then lot of people change the IC as its fairly small. hence why there are so many cheap ones around.
however theres been a few of them fitted to navara and they haven't made it any worse.

i wouldn't call it high flowing.
while the falcon is a bigger motor it runs a lot less boost. even then lot of people change the IC as its fairly small. hence why there are so many cheap ones around.
however theres been a few of them fitted to navara and they haven't made it any worse.

not really a good comparison, your talking about petrol vs diesel and the fact that an xr6 turbo make a bucket load of power and revs considerably higher than a zd30. when you look into the intercooler at the cores its more than sufficient for what im using it for. yes it is probably under rated for the xr6 turbo but ford would not fit a component that wasnt going to be sufficient for its 4.0lt. i had a couple of mates put big intercoolers on there xr6 and started going backwards at low boost. its all relevant. if you look at the standard intercoolers on the skylines they are almost half the size of the xr6 one. and on the other hand the xr6 intercooler is roughly the same core area as the 2.5lt nav factory unit. so i dont think there will be any issues with power loss at all. xr6=6psi boost zd30=15psi boost all good:rock:

Cooling efficiency is what matters not the size. If an intercooler is 40cm smaller but cools the air by 10 degrees more... I know which cooler i'd want...

My Front mount cooler is alot larger than an Xr6 cooler and havent taken any significant damage to it yet and has been through mud, creeks, dirt roads, high speed highway etc... It sits above the bash plate which protects it well and the Alloy bar allows good airflow through its fins on the bottom...

Make sure you take plenty of pics and let us know how the xr6 intercooler goes...

not really a good comparison, your talking about petrol vs diesel and the fact that an xr6 turbo make a bucket load of power and revs considerably higher than a zd30........and on the other hand the xr6 intercooler is roughly the same core area as the 2.5lt nav factory unit. so i dont think there will be any issues with power loss at all. xr6=6psi boost zd30=15psi boost all good:rock:

its not a comparison.

its simply bigger engine running more rpm but at under half the boost of the other. if i remember right a rough work out of airflow has the navara flowing the same or slightly more (especially if navara is pushing 18psi like mine, which makes it 3x the boost of the ford).

manufactures do fit under performing parts on vehicles. they are made to a price point not necessarily a performance point. i would not assume that just because it fitted to an engine that its designed to work well with that engine.

but as i said its been fitted before and if the price is right go for it. i just think theres better ones around, but they will cost more.

im not here to debate the benifits of different coolers im posting this to show a cheaper alternative, when your building stuff on a budget you go with what fits. any decrease in intake temps will be great, and i cant see it being restricted in the amount of flow it will have at the boost levels and rpm the nav will be doing. what i am tempted to do is put a guage either side of the intercooler to measure pressure and flow but once again its a budget set up and not a $1500-$2000 set up and i dont have the funds for running extensive tests to prove the benefits. if it works then brilliant if it doesnt i'll bin it. but until its done then its all speculation.

i called the diesel performance guru at united diesel here in perth, gave him the dimensions and he said and i quote "that will work f*****g beautifully any bigger is a waste of time". he also said that a pipe diameter any bigger than 2 1/4 inch would be point less. he's done heaps of work for me in the past and i refer my clients to him for diesel repairs, he's a no-nonsense straight up dude who doesnt piss in your pocket to make an extra buck. so let the fabrication begin. also i dont really want to debate this anymore so if you want to continue the argument start a new thread. i'll post pics as i progress.

Dont stress about it mate, the XR6 cooler is plenty big enough and it can handle the FLOW of the little girly turbo on the navara, boost level has nothing to do with it.

i called the diesel performance guru at united diesel here in perth, gave him the dimensions and he said and i quote "that will work f*****g beautifully any bigger is a waste of time". he also said that a pipe diameter any bigger than 2 1/4 inch would be point less. he's done heaps of work for me in the past and i refer my clients to him for diesel repairs, he's a no-nonsense straight up dude who doesnt piss in your pocket to make an extra buck. so let the fabrication begin. also i dont really want to debate this anymore so if you want to continue the argument start a new thread. i'll post pics as i progress.

just out of curiosity is united going to dyno tuned it after it's done? have heard only good stories of their tuning so will be very keen!

after having 2 f6 tornados with over 400rwkw i can say i have dabbled with the xr6turbo after market intercoolers and learned a few things on the way.

the std xr6t cooler should be enough to flow anywhere upto around 11-12psi without much heatsoak. after that your winding the boost up and loosing the efficiency that you would gain from a slightly larger cooler. The std xr6t cooler gets too much heatsoak after 12psi ( i know because my last tornado was a prototype test car for Nizpro for about 6months ). the cooler will still flow the psi your putting through it, there wont be a restriction, just a temp increase after certain psi, however thats neither here or there when your coming from no cooler to having a front mount.

in saying this, the cooler is still going to keep temps way down as apose to running no cooler! and as far as a budget is concerned i reckon its an excellent cooler to pick, especially because of the design having both coldside and hotside facing the same side, should make fitting the piping a little easier.

im in the process of doing a front mount on my d22 atm also and finding the purchase of the correct pipes and where to run them being the most difficult of tasks (im sticking with 2.25inch piping), fitting the front mount was the easy part :p , would love to see more pics of your progress :) keep up the good work Nafmersa!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back