Fault Code: P0089 Suction Control Valve

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAFO

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a November 2011 Build D22, over the past 12 months I have not been using it as much as I have the past 4 years, as my Ex Girlfriend used it more around home then I did for work and it came into disrepair somewhat.

Funny, split from the Girlfriend a month ago and in the last 2 weeks I have replaced a cracked Exhaust Manifold and fuel filter, as the car was cutting out a little, once the fuel filter was replaced the car ran fine.

For the past 18 months to 2 years the engine, sometimes, but most noticeable while cruising on the freeway would surge a little, but not every day so to say.

On Thursday evening, I left home for the shops and the car went into what seemed like limp mode. I use the Android Torque App most of the time, so did a fault can and it came up with Fault: P0089 Suction Control Valve.

Reading up, the fault symptoms sound consistent with what I had been experiencing over the past 18 months to 2 years while driving on freeways, now the issue is, I have searched the forum and can't find anything on Suction Control Vales under the D22 Forum pages, all seems to be on the D40, which I know also uses the YD25 Engine as well.

So, just trying to find out if I am looking in the right direction, have done a Google Search and found what are listed as YD25 Engine Suction Control Valves, but not 100% positive I'm looking at the right item on my engine.

With the photo attached, am I looking at the right sucker?

Attachments

• SCV Fault.jpg
    SCV Fault.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 337
  • SCV.jpg
    SCV.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,747
That's the guy. I've circled it in your pic.

attachment.php

Common sore point on the D40 as you've discovered, rarely an issue in the D22.

You might try some fuel system cleaner in yours before hurling tools at it.

Attachments

• SCVD22.jpg
    SCVD22.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 7,934
G'day Tony,

I pulled it out this afternoon. Used a Philips Head screw driver to check and see if it was jammed up, seemed to move quiet freely.

Car still ran as if in limp mode after I put it back on the car, not getting over 2500rpm

Will do as you have said first, and get some Diesel Fuel Cleaner and put in the tank and take it around the block a couple of times and see if that makes a difference, otherwise there's a place up Castle Hill that sells them for around $250 . . . don't know if that's a good or bad price though . . . never seen one on eBay in the past 4 yrs

Try the liquimoly purge. There is a thread on it here somewhere, you disconnect the fuel line and drop it straight in the can and run it neat through the engine. Works a treat

There are tons on eBay. Try this one ($110) - first result in a search for "d22 scv". It's even the correct brand.

The purge is a good start too. The very worst that could happen is that you clean your injectors and still have to replace a suspct SCV. Note that the SCV has electrical connections and they might need cleaning too.

Tony I found a ebay seller close to me and I'm Picking up a new SCV at midday today for $110.

I've had the SCV out a couple of times, found a youtube video showing how to test the function of the SCV, and while connected to 12v it does seem to be working but I didn't strip it down to clean, at $110 I rather just replace it with a new one and see if my issue is resolved . . . after 220k klm's it can't hurt either way.

Boogiebootsm, I did as you suggested and brought a Can of Liquid Moly Diesel Purge yesterday and did the Diesel Purge . . . a lot more simpler then I thought it would have been and quicker then I expected, it was less then 10min from the time I started the Purge till the solution was near all used up.

It didn't solve my issue with the SCV Fault Code though, nor make any difference running wise like others have stated making the engine quieter, but I had been using a diesel treatment regularly since the car was new, so weather that has made a difference I don't know, but as Tony has said, it couldn't hurt either way and as my D22 has over 220k on it, at worse the injectors would get a bit of a clean.

I'll update you's this afternoon when I put the new SCV in . . . to weather she's back on the road or if I'm looking at intervention by a Diesel Mechanic.

Last edited:
Just a thought, now that you have cleaned it, have you tried clearing the code and seeing if it comes back? You may also need to reset the ecu if you haven't tried that already...

SCV replaced, still no joy . . . still seems to be in limp mode . . . turbo just doesn't seem to kick in. you put your foot down and it's struggles to get up to 2000rpm . . .

Hi all,

Well it's been near 4 weeks with this issue.

SCV was replaced about 2 weeks ago . . . no change

Tony . . . Turbo works fine

Now since having the D22 from new, what I have noticed from my driving, is that with the D22 when the car come to a complete stop, the Revs seems to drop a 100rpm.

It's when the Revs drop the 100rpm that the car seems to go into limp mode.

With my Android Torque App connected to the ECU, once I start to drive off I can reset the ECU and the car gets up and going, so thinking it may be something more then just a SCV issue.

As it seems to go into limp mode once the car comes to a complete stop, I was thinking it might be something to do with a dud speed sensor or something?

Any ideas?

Anything is possible... Mine does the rpm drop too, well I don't know if I'd call it a drop. When you start rolling, even with the gearbox in neutral or the clutch in, the rpm bumps up about 100. I have thought it was just to help in getting moving off the line.

Can you check fuel rail pressure when the rpm drops and see if it spikes? The computer could be thinking rail pressure is too high and going into limp mode.

Latest posts

Back