Vibration issue - Navara D40 4x4 2.5 2009

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwilko

Reaction score
I have a 2009 2.5 D40 with Calmini lift. 4x4 Manual g/box.

At present I'm experiencing a vibration starting at about 90 km ph and increasingly noticeable as the speed increases above that.

my local dealer tells me they have checked the wheel balance, diff, prop-shaft and bearings.
they now think that a front half shaft may need "balancing".

They recently replaced U/J on the prop shaft and have re-balanced it.

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by their current theory - however I'll let them swap the shaft to test it.....

BUT..........

if anyone has a better theory I'd LOVE to hear it.

Same thing happened to someone else not that long ago and I'm sure it had something to do with misaligned half shafts on the front, but I can't find it in a search. Be worth making sure it's ok.

I know I had some trouble with the seal on my transfer case (others too) - might be worth making sure yours is in good condition, and hasn't destroyed a bearing or anything yet.

Misaligned half-shafts? in what way? I'll ask them on Monday.

So far I've also established that they haven't checked the front prop at all (U/Js etc.) and don't seem too clued up on the rear prop that they may have replaced 180 degree out of whack.

You mentioned that they had replaced "a u/j" which one? and why not the other three??
or did they do the two on the main tail shaft and not the front prop shaft??
IMO as the front shaft is always spinning on the D40 if i were to change one i would change all four.

It looks as if they replaced one or two U/Js on the rear prop. I went in today and as far as I can ascertain they didn't even look at the front prop.
This is a Nissan main dealer in Thailand.

The problem here is that although sometimes they get it right at others they will inexplicably miss out the bleedin' obvious....trying to work out what has or hasn't been done is a nightmare in itself - especially as when a mistake is made they will move heaven and earth so as not to lose face - even denying all knowledge of ever touching the part.
I'm petty sure this vibration occurred round about the time the rear prop U/Js were replaced - but there was so much vibration at the time it is difficult to work out if it was present before or after the work was done.

Last edited:
Oh you aren't alone there. We have dealers that change clutch fluids on automatics, replace pollen filters that don't exist and service steering racks without seeing the boots near torn in half.

I had ONE uni changed on my rear shaft - was done fine, no problems with balance, no drama with the front shaft - depends on whether or not the guy doing the work is competent.

I must say the guy at Klosters might look like he's been snagged by a couple of #8 hooks on a 20lb line (he has two piercings in his bottom lip looks like he's really bad at casting a fishing line) but he really does know his stuff.

The other day after some work on suspension bushes, i drove home and heard a resounding CRASH from under the car whilst negating a speed bump. An quick inspection revealed they had removed the sump guard but only re-actched it at the bak, so it was seining up and down like a great mouth.
I call Thailand the land of 90% because no job - on a car or anything else is ever completed properly. It isn't a matter of IF something goes wrong it is a a matter of WHEN. Any work done on my car I have to inspect carefully and it usually involves returning the vehicle. Fortunately as labour costs are virtually nil I get the second work carried out for nought.

You may think you have it bad in Oz or UK - i lived in both - and it doesn't come anywhere NEAR to the jaw-dropping incompetence you get in Thailand.
One of the resins I've posted on this site is that I need to be fore-armed by Monday so I have some constructive things to ask them to do when I get there.
There excuse for doing nothing over 2 days was that "Not like foreign we no have 4wd here" - this is of course complete nonsense they are Nissan main delayers and pickups outsell sedans in Thailand, all makes carry a range of 4WD models.

Last edited:
Maybe its worth dropping the rear shaft out and having a feel of the new uni's just to make sure they are not "binding" up, and also look at how the indexed them.
If as you say that the vibration occurred at the same time it may be they didnt quite get that job spot on either?? especially after hearing tat they always miss something

What is "indexing"?

basically when the tail shaft is balanced it is done so with the uni's in place so if the saddle is reinstalled 180' in the opposite position to where it was originally installed this can and will cause a vibration, so to prevent this BEFORE the tail shaft is unbolted it should be marked from the diff across the uni and onto the shaft it self, then remove and replace the uni and align the marks during the install of the uni and the reinstatement of the shaft it self.

you may notice on the pinion flange the outline of where the shaft was bolted up previously which could indicate that it needs to be spun and that they never marked and fitted the uni back in the same location as before causing it to be out of balance.

Im sure if you take a look on youtube you will find more then a few videos on it and it will be mentioned in all the "how to" videos on uni replacement ect

Last edited:
basically when the tail shaft is balanced it is done so with the uni's in place so if the saddle is reinstalled 180' in the opposite position to where it was originally installed this can and will cause a vibration, so to prevent this BEFORE the tail shaft is unbolted it should be marked from the diff across the uni and onto the shaft it self, then remove and replace the uni and align the marks during the install of the uni and the reinstatement of the shaft it self.

you may notice on the pinion flange the outline of where the shaft was bolted up previously which could indicate that it needs to be spun and that they never marked and fitted the uni back in the same location as before causing it to be out of balance.

Im sure if you take a look on youtube you will find more then a few videos on it and it will be mentioned in all the "how to" videos on uni replacement ect

I know what you mean now - I just didn't know it was called indexing....I've already asked them to check this on Monday.

I went in on Monday and drew them some diagrams - it turns out they hadn't checked the U/Js on the front prop shaft......problem solved - 1400 baht about 45 AU dollars.

Like others have said quite possibly a misaligned tail shaft. I have read about vibration associated with both the Calmini kit and the fabtech. Basically need caster wedges on the rear blocks to improve the rear uni angle due to the amount of lift.

The problem was front prop-shaft - (see above).

Any lift will require the use wedges to keep the shaft aligned....I did get onto Calmini who were helpful.
Do you have the reference for the Calmini vibration problem?

Latest posts

Back