Reverse camera in a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what I did as the factory wiring is so freaking thin.
I took a feed from the reverse wire connection in the trailer connector harness and ran that to the relay that drives the reversing lights . I then took that switched feed and connected that to the camera and then ran that feed with the video feed to the head deck.
Has worked faultlessly for the last 3 years

The guys that installed my in-dash navigation system placed my reversing camera in the keyhole for the absent tailgate lock (which I was prepared to buy @ $175 but they went and shoved this in).

I can't line up a towbar when the tailgate's down, because there's not enough clearance between the top of the towball and tailgate so all I'd do is clobber the tailgate - so there's no point worrying about that. Camera in the keyhole is good, out-of-the-way and powered by the unit in the dash.

Hi Tony. i am interested in installing my camera in the same place but am worries weather i will be able to see the towball or not due to the angle. are you bale to post a few pics of your installation to help me out if its not too much trouble. i would be most interested in a picture of the camera from the outside and one of the picture it displays on your headunit.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

I've made a note to do that in the morning.

I can't see the normal hitch, it's too close to the car. The weight distribution hitch is 150mm longer and I can just see the top in the image. The pics should make that clearer.

I mounted mine beside the tailgate opener, I did have it just above my number plate but was difficult to work out how far away an object was, it's a much better perspective up higher and I can see my towball also.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,231
Took some pics of mine this morning, thought I'd better upload 'em.

First pic is of the dash unit. I used a drawing program to put a yellow arrow in showing the location of the towball. No, Krafty, I don't have a yellow arrow on my dash for real.

Second pic is of the rear with the hitch in place. The camera (in the keyhole to the right of the Nissan emblem) is aimed downwards and now that some of the paint has come off it, it's a little more obvious than it was when new.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6933-resized.jpg
    IMG_6933-resized.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_6934-resized.jpg
    IMG_6934-resized.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,408
Hi guys,

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this was the closest post I could find.
I've just bought a small wired reverse camera and dash-mounted LCD display.

I have a question about wiring up the LCD display. It needs it's own power feed, similar to the one in this picture: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61j5ZR2hjpL._SL1482_.jpg
The LCD power lead is shown on the bottom left.

Do I wire the LCD display up to permanent power, such as the cigarette lighter, or to the reverse-light power?
If the LCD does need power from the reverse-light, any idea of the best place to tap into it near the dashboard? Or maybe I could run the LCD power wire all the way from the tail light, as I'll be tapping into that for the camera anyway?

Thanks in advance,
Harry.

Last edited:
I wonder if the power source matters a whole lot. In my car, the display changes to the reverse camera automatically when the camera gets power (which is only in reverse).

If your display is dedicated only to the reversing camera, I'd wire it up and take a look at it in the dark and see if it backlights while the camera is off (that could be annoying). If it's bothersome, hook the display up to the reversing light wire. If the display shuts down or isn't a bother at all, I'd put it on an ignition-source wire (eg accessories).

Camera

I mounted mine in the rear bar. I put a hole in with a hole saw and it lines up with the tow ball perfectly. When I am reversing onto my caravan I put a nut onto a piece of coloured string and hang it off the hitch, when you are right under the hitch the nut comes around the ball and bingo you are ready to wind the hitch onto the ball.

Latest posts

Back