LSD Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penrite 140 Gear oil, it was made for Nissan LSD's.

budget oil with bs advertising. i doubt the "made for nissan", more like it just happens nissan lists it in their recommendations.

i've not seen a mono diff oil on the shelves here and my usual brands don't make one. mineral gear oils are old tech.

i would stick with the semi synthetic (or full synthetic if you can afford it). better oil and wider temp range. less oil changes needed and handles more abuse.

budget oil with bs advertising. i doubt the "made for nissan", more like it just happens nissan lists it in their recommendations.

i've not seen a mono diff oil on the shelves here and my usual brands don't make one. mineral gear oils are old tech.

i would stick with the semi synthetic (or full synthetic if you can afford it). better oil and wider temp range. less oil changes needed and handles more abuse.

Mate honestly you wound'nt know a good oil if I shot it up your arse, so piss off with your BS tech talk.

Hahaha I knew this was gunna get personal. Tweak'e you seem to have confused and upset every one with your big words like Mono and tech. ;).
Rabbid-chop don't lower yourself to a level of blatant abuse.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, why take it so personally Gus?? It amazes me how many people here can't allow others to their own choices.

Me personally I go by what guys on this site have recommended but also take into what the oils book says to use. But having the tech knowledge is handy and usually puts u in the ballpark of using the correct fluid. U seem to know your oil Tweak'e thanks for the info.

As they say oils ain't oils.

If you want to insert your oily thing in another man's butt, this is not the forum to discuss that. This happens to be a D40 sub area of a Navara forum, not the Over-40s area of the Rainbow Nirvana forum.

I dont live in extreme cold mountains last winter it got down to around 3-4 degrees of a night time.

Majority of driving is on road and off road once a month

Just another thing is it mineral or synthetic oil in the diffs as it doesnt state it in the manual it only states synthetic oil under the section for lock type diff

Last edited:
Just another thing is it mineral or synthetic oil in the diffs as it doesnt state it in the manual it only states synthetic oil under the section for lock type diff
synthetic oil lasts longer and handles high temps better, but its $$$$.
most common is semi-synthetic.
mineral is cheap and need to replace it more often.

for eg the gearboxes on some of my work gear are "sealed for life" and use synthetic oil. they are not made for oil changes.

for eg the gearboxes on some of my work gear are "sealed for life" and use synthetic oil. they are not made for oil changes.

I believe it comes down to personal preference. Tech BRO!!!

But who would you listen to? Big Gus' off-sider ^here, or someone who actually isn't a complete fukwit?

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread.

You're insults are starting to wear thin with people...

145 posts to your name..

And 140 of them...Are just insulting people!!!

So I asked the question again. Do you have anything relevant to this thread..
💩 TALKER +

Last edited:

Take the 2011-onwards D40 gearbox. No filler, we had someone on here that asked how to check the level, and you have to open the drain plug and count the drips almost - because the box and the oil are designed to be in there for the life of the vehicle.

Curious question though: what is the "life of the vehicle"? Is it 5 years at 20,000km per year? Is it 20 years @ 30K per year? What is (officially, not an opinion) considered a vehicle's life span in terms of km travelled?

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread.

You're insults are starting to wear thin with people...

145 posts to your name..

And 140 of them...Are just insulting people!!!

So I asked the question again. Do you have anything relevant to this thread..
�� TALKER +

The previous post WAS constructive and relevant, as I was warning people not to listen to YOUR version of reality when it comes to choosing fluids for their vehicle. T
he answer has been kindly given by several helpful members already.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been brought up yet but the 2012 ST (which is the model owned by the guy who started this thread DannyBoy) has an open Diff NOT a LSD due to it using the ABLS (active brake limited slip) which means it is essentially an open diff and the power is transferred from wheel to wheel by using the ABS system as opposed to clutches inside the diff like a traditional LSD does

My 2010 ST had a limo and had the sticker on the diff housing to remind you to use LIMO oil only where as the 2012 ST didnt.

Last edited:
Just found my 2012 ST owners manual and in it it states :

differential gear oil :

rear :
,Differential lock type and standard type : (this is what the 2012 ST is or late model Spain built units)
,API GL-5 Synthetic gear oil, viscosity 75W - 140 or equivalent *7
. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. ,limited slip differential (LSD) gear: (this would be for the Thai models and early spain built models not using the ABLS sytem)
. ,Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid LSD GL-5 80W - 90
. ,or equivalent *7

Last edited:
youre right nathand22 im under the car trying to locate fill port for the gearbox which is giving me the shits lol and I just checked the rear diff and says 75W140 synthetic oil only

Lol, its called referring to the manual. Not knocking you Nath!
Moral of the story - don't make shit up and then pass it off as advice, and then start throwing your weight around with people who know more than yourself!

EDIT: PM recieved, will reply here. Flag away! No hard feelings. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back