Why did you buy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Thought I'd chuck this in. Why did you buy a Navara ?
Why did you choose what model to buy and why ?
Lots of options, I'd be interested to read your opinions.
cheers

Great idea for a topic!

We had a Holden Commodore and a 5.5m double-axle 1.8T caravan. Overall length of the van was around 7.5m with the drawbar and rear carrier. We were looking around at other caravans to get an idea of what changes we might like to make inside our caravan and discovered the Travelhome fifth wheeler series. At 7.5m of external length with the same internal dimensions we were extremely impressed. So impressed, in fact, that we looked to change the tug.

So we went looking at utes. In 2009 when I was looking at them, the D40 was the cream of the crop. We enquired at the Newcastle dealership who offered us the STX with a bunch of extras (canopy, mats, driving lights, bullbar, HR tow pack etc) and went for it.

As it turns out, the 4WD allowed us to take the caravan more places - and we really enjoyed those new places. On one of those occasions I was looking in the mirror as the car navigated some ruts ... and with the caravan fairly heavily twisted the other way, I realised that a fifth wheeler in the same situation would have destroyed the tub.

So we weighed up what we wanted - travel to some more out-of-the-way places, or extra space inside. The travel won ... and then a new caravan (6m, 2.5T) came along (now in my sig).

So that's our journey.

Would I make the same call again, knowing what I now know about the Navara? Sure. I've had very few issues with my car, really. I've got to have a look at my turbocharger when it gets light enough because I have the feeling it needs a couple of seals replaced - I'm starting to get a little blue smoke blowing and don't want the DPF contaminated too much. Does this make me regret my decision? Not at all. With over 217,000km on the clock (all ours, we bought new) she's been an excellent workhorse. Fluid coupling is a bit iffy too but I'm going to buy a second-hand one and rebuild it to solve that problem, and then I'll have a spare.

i bought my 2014 model D-22 as i needed a dual cab ute and didn,t want to pay the earth like most other dual cab 4 x 4 s cost. Nissan had a deal going for ABN holders where the price for a brand new D-22 on road ready was only $25,000 plus 3 years of full waranty. my son also bought a used 2013 D-22 in excellent condition with just on 30k on the clock plus a few extras fitted for $20,000. both vehicles have been great both on road driving and occasional beach driving [ out of salt water too ] the only dislike with the D-22 is back seat room compared to the D-40,s.

simply as a workhorse, tend my olive trees and vineyard, gather the oil and wine when the times comes as a weekend hobby (work in a siemens factory monday to friday) and move my bees around or gather the honey. carry wood for the fireplace every winter 1T + easily. hasnt failed me a single time in almost 14 years now (omg time flies!) apart from upper chain tension and NPS switch! yes suspension is not the greatest with the torsion bars (but bilstein shocks transform it) and not much confortable driver seats compared to a d40 but who cares? its a king cab but only me and my wife use it so we dont care about passenger room. its a work horse overall when i want speed space and comfort i just use my 8th generation civic. i never expected my workvehicle to be comfortable in expence of them breaking down once a month :)
DSC_0004.png

I bought I Toyota once.
And after that experience I bought something that was reliable,tough and a reasonably capable 4x4.

Back in 2011 when I brought mine I wanted a King/Extra Cab ute. More room for stuff. At the time the only ones that had suicide doors were the the Ranger and Navara. The extra space in the back is great still with a reasonable tray but no good if every time you want to access you have to have move the front seats. Anyway the the Navara drove great, was comfortable and felt more spacious than the previous model Ranger. Now they all have suicide (rattly) doors.

Having come from two Isuzu's and an MQ Patrol before them feelings are mixed. The Nav is good and really had no issues except a couple at the start, rectified under warranty. Have to say tho never really had the confidence in the Navara that I had with two previous Isuzu's and in particular the legendary Patrol.

I've owned 3 Nissan dual cab's from new. I bought them because at the time, IMO, they were the best value for money dual cab 4x4 on the market. The last 2 have been D22's & they have been very capable off road without mods. Mine have towed very heavy loads (up around max towing capacity) in a large trailer as my daily work ute & then towed an off road CT along many thousands of km's of remote dirt roads while we're on holiday. I've never had any issues with these Utes, ever! Never had to lift them, nor upgrade suspension for outback travel. They have had their fair share of water crossings & no issues there either.

Currently looking to upgrade & am looking at 4x4 wagons, because I'm not keen on paying what they're asking for 4x4 Ute's ATM.

When I was looking for a ute, Hilux SR5 was $50k, Ranger $52k and Dmax was $40ish. D22 was $28k with the standard bull/tow bar package. At that time the D40's price went down and I picked up my current one for $37k with bull bar, tow bar, tint, mats, bonnet protector and soft tonneau cover (the lip/rail one). My factor was price. I really wanted a Ranger and even test drove it a few times (auto 3.2L), it's a brilliant ute but couldn't justify spending that much more money on what was essentially a work ute with weekend play.

The only thing I regret is getting a manual instead of the auto :-( sure manual is fine and gets the job done, but I do a lot of km for work and the auto would have been nice for driving all day long.

Currently in desperate need of a lift, with steel bar, winch, bash plates, canopy, weight in the tub plus the crap on the roof racks when going off road every few weeks is making it look really sad!

Last edited:
d22, we have three. good work horses.
when we bought the first one (new) it was cheaper than hilux.
landcruiser/patrol just way to expensive for no real gain in load carrying ability.
also used to tow 2500kg trailer as well.
but that duty is now taken over by the new ranger we got. the low down grunt and features of the ranger beats the navara hands down.

We had many different types of utes at work ranging from the ranger to dmaz, triton, Colorado and after driving them all my mine was set on the ranger, loved the power the ranger gave out ( no turbo lag). That was until I test drove my mates d40, that changed my mind real quick. The d40 dished up everything the ranger did for half the price. We bought the narvara and took it for a spin to Mackay (which is roughly 1900km from where I live) and found it quite comfortable and amazing on fuel with a choc a block tub.

Coming of the land we always had a 4wd, started of with a series of Landrovers (various series and cofiigurations), then a Pootrol cab chassis. after selling the property bought a hilux dual cab. we wore that one out. Family came along and a little more comfort was insisted on so a Disco was obtained. Always missed the space the dual cab had for carrying stuff. When the Disco died, (electrical failures x 2 in ignition module) we looked around for a reliable Dual cab again. The 2007 D40 Stx was the best of the vehicles in our price range. We have been very impressed with its ability and reliability. It also has the comfort level required for long days in the vehicle, touring and off road.

always said "when I buy a big 4x4 (came from offroad subaru's) Im getting a D22" just like how they are still simple yet capable and light offroad with enough space for all the families crap that needs carrying!

Cheers
Bryan

I wanted to be able to venture off road for some mountain biking and was actually going to grab a 2007 Pathfinder. After realizing a ute would make my life easier I spotted a 2010 model Nav with only 138,000 on the clock going cheap.

I liked the interior of the car and thought it was the most attractive of the other cars I looked at. It ticked all the boxes, Diesel, Auto, Proper 4WD and reasonably modern.
So she ended up mine.

I bought a D21 because of the reliability the TD2.7 offers and always liked the shape since I was a small boy. One of my friends his Dad has had his TD2.7 D21 since new in 95'. Now its rusty, has mould on the windows and over 500000kms on the clock and still starts like new. it is about as fast as an elderly person climbing some stairs since factory, but even stock has crossed Australia even through some of the rougher tracks only things to go wrong is the centre carrier bearing collapses every 5 years or so and gearbox needed a rebuild at 300000kms. Seeing this inspired me to go and find one as an adult. and it has been pretty sweet so far just don't expect to go anywhere fast.

Bought mine (zd30 cab chas) new in 2004. Mainly because, believe it or not, it had the best performance in its class at the time, which isnt saying much. Was about 10k cheaper than the gaylux too. Also, because the d21 that i had before it was such a little trooper. Was a bit guilty about driving it into the ground.

Latest posts

Back