Who rides bikes and what are they

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe they know that a 650 is all that you need, i`d have loved an xr650 (((-; but my xr400 was awesome fun and heaps enough power and weight for bush tracks.

That's part of the reason why the appeal of the Africa rose again. I looked at numerous reviews of the Multistrada including the one linked to by Rabbid-chop here. Most of the comments were about its height, its weight and the enormous amount of power.

Power is good in its place, but stupid amounts of power in a place where you aren't going to use it ... not so clever. Of course that only applies to two wheels.

Having been on the Africa and finding that it rides like a much smaller bike makes it even more appealing when listening to the KTM/BMW/Ducati commentary.

I doubt I'll use all of the beans down low - it's fully capable of flipping over - but my goal is less of dirt travel and more of many hundreds of km on highway followed by a short(ish) trek through dirt/mud/snow to the destination. Epic rallies like the Alpine Rally that I last attended in 1986 are awesome events, with about 50km of dirt road to cover and when it's snowing, you're usually walking the bike. The Winter rally near Nerriga can be quite a challenge from any of the 3 possible directions. Via Tomerong, if it's raining you'll find parts of Turpentine Rd perfect for a blast until it's too late to slow down and the knee-to-thigh-deep mud grabs your bike. The other paths in have sand, sometimes soft, sometimes firm, and causeways that appear out of nowhere.

I want to go to those, and riding for 8-10 hours in some cases just isn't going to be pleasant on a smaller bike.

well you have convinced me and yourself that the african is the go, maybe if you let the boss lady pick the colour she might let you have it (((-; good luck tony

Okay, found a pic of the old Bol D'Or so I've scanned it in. Would have been taken on the way down to the Bike Australia Rally in 1985, taken on the main street of Ulladulla. The bike in the foreground is mine. Notice the saddlebags, gearsack, yes it's a guitar, a tank bag ... she was quite heavy!

attachment.php

Looks like a scene straight out of stone

My new toy, couple of days before I picked it up, brand new superseded 2014 crf450x, my old xr250 had nothing on this thing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 59
Dave, you thinking of rounding up some old girls in Daylesford? The bigger engine is probably needed, those girls are quick, I heard they all go like lickety-split.

Dont know about that. But i will be riding it to work next week. Nav just done a head gasket or head. Yay me

Awesome. Thats what you want! Be careful on that thing!
Im kinda looking at getting a bike too, couple groups of mates been riding lately. Was looking at drz400's cos theyr'e cheap and reliable. Ended up taking a TM 400E for a tilt. Was very cheap but a dog of a bike in terms of neglect/cover ups/ not-quite right factor. Glad i didnt buy. Would be pretty cool in good nick though. Would love a crf450x if funds allowed. Looking at 250 and 300 2 strokes now. **** it i love the smell of two stroke in the morning.

Would love a crf450x if funds allowed. Looking at 250 and 300 2 strokes now. **** it i love the smell of two stroke in the morning.

Looked at the drz, but I decided right or wrong I wanted more poke, not sure what's still around but I picked brand new old stock 2014 crf450x for $8000. Some reason these bikes arnt ADR compliant, so no full reg, but I only wanted rec reg so it suits, only got it at Easter, something funny at Honda with these bikes something about a euro model, hence no ADR. But $8000 brand new, was a juggle, but 5 or 6 on a second hand bike versus 8 brand new, seemed a no brainer

Its never wrong! Sounds like a killer deal. Im trying to see if i can get something or build something, under 3k that is tight and clean with road reg. Probably a pipe dream.

I wanted the black, red and white Africa ... but I've also always wanted a cruiser. You can see from the pics that I'd set up my CB900 for touring - that fairing hid a stereo and an equaliser too. Used to laugh at the faces of those around me in traffic, here I am listening to AC/DC having a smoke while I'm riding along on my bike ...

So the Africa is still a lovely bike but I've found two others that are extremely tempting.

The Kawasaki GTR1400 and the Honda GL1500 Aspencade.

I've always wanted an Aspencade, and I think I'll probably go that way. Flat six boxer-style instead of the Kawasaki's parallel 4, not sure I'd be happy with the 1800cc version because while it has loads of power, it also consumes loads of fuel. Both are shaft drive (never had that before), the GTR using technology to stop shaft torque from twisting the bike. Still remember the old Thumper (XS1.1) which you could see leaning under hard acceleration.

I've picked a colour (and a source) for the GTR1400 - a nice dark green (and Gen 2 with K-Act ABS to boot) - but haven't settled on a Wing yet. A couple of nice ones have presented themselves, one complete with trailer and full camping gear - I will take my time though, not to going to decide immediately. I'm still looking at the pros and cons of all 3 bikes (Africa, Concours and Aspencade).

if it`s a cruiser you want, if your legs are not to long it`s gotta be a black retro moto guzzi 1400, white walls, black paint and chrome, i wish i could swap my sportster for one they are awesome looking critters (((-:

I think my legs will manage the Wing :) besides, they lowered the seat height for the GL1500.

That California certainly looks spiffy. I'm after a bit more fairing. Here's both to compare:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• honda-gl1500-aspencade-3_600x450.jpg
    honda-gl1500-aspencade-3_600x450.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 2015-Moto-Guzzi-California-1400-Touring-SE3_600x482.jpg
    2015-Moto-Guzzi-California-1400-Touring-SE3_600x482.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 139
gotta love those cup holders. great for the morning latte. the wing certainly has all the goodies and looks the part. been around for a long time too.

Latest posts

Back