Tyres and Rims on 550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy_20

Reaction score
Hi Guys first timer here, love this page has helped me out heaps can't believe I haven't joined years ago. I know there's been plenty of post about this but still can't get the answer I'm looking for. My question is, has anybody tried putting 16"rims on the 550, I heard you can't because of the caliper being bigger and can't fit anything under 17". Im running 265/70/17 with 2" lift but want to go 285 with 16" rims.
However if people are running with 285 on 17" what offset have you got to avoid rubbing the chassy.

Any help will be appreciated cheers

standard nissan 17" rims are +30, i run 265/70/17's on +20 rims and the tyres are flush with the body, with no scraping. i wouldn't go wider than +20. 0 offset, you will end up with too much tyre hanging out if you want to go 285's, and then they will catch on your guards!

I have the original 255 / 60r18 tires, offset +45 mm. I want to retread 275 / 65r17 tires without lifting. What should be the rim offset value?

The only figure you need to focus on in regards to rim offset is the width of the tyre, which will share itself equally over the rim. With a 20mm wider tyre, it should stick out an extra 10mm on each side, and if that's not going to protrude past your guards then there's no need to change offset. However, if it is, you'd want to reduce your offset by 10mm, or change to +35 rims.

Calculations for speedometer and ride height will be different, a 255/60R18 rim has a diameter of (18*25.4+255*0.6*2 = ) 763.2mm and the new choice is (17*25.4+275*0.65*2 = ) 789.3mm or 26.1mm larger, raising the axle height by 13.05mm (on fully inflated tyres). Road circumference changes from 2397.6mm to 2479.6mm, or an increase of 3.4%, so your speedo will adjust itself downwards by that amount - if your car indicated 100km/h (regardless of the actual speed it was doing, but let's say it's 95km/h) on the old tyres, then on the new tyres at an actual speed of 95km/h it will read at about 97km/h. This is because the larger wheel doesn't have to turn over as much to cover the same distance. Your odometer will also be incorrect by that same margin (so 100km of indicated travel will be 103.4km actually travelled).

Thank you,
What is your personal opinion about this size? (275/65r17)

It would be good for beach work as the wider footprint will help in the loose surface. However it will affect fuel economy and power, so hills will be different and if you're towing, you'll likely use a noticeable amount of extra fuel particularly up hills.

But otherwise, as long as the tyres don't scrub the inside of the front guards (there should be plenty of room for the rear wheels) they should look pretty good.

Latest posts

Back