LSD Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy

Reaction score
Hey all, I have read in the manual that the D40 Rear lsd oil is suppose to be 80W-90 when I have looked for it on supercheaps website no brands sell that viscosity in lsd oil only for normal diffs.

Only viscosity in lsd oil is the 80/85W-140 wondering if thats alright to use as ive read. of d22's using this.

cheers.

Hey all, I have read in the manual that the D40 Rear lsd oil is suppose to be 80W-90 when I have looked for it on supercheaps website no brands sell that viscosity in lsd oil only for normal diffs.

Only viscosity in lsd oil is the 80/85W-140 wondering if thats alright to use as ive read. of d22's using this.

cheers.

Just buy a decent LSD oil. There's generally just normal diff oil and LSD oil.

an 80w-140 should be fine as your temps are probably quite high.
it can be an issue if your in a cold country or in mountains a lot.

Danny,

LSD oil is completely different to your Front oil..

LSD oil is straight 140.
That is the best oil to use for LSD's.
Yes i know the front diff uses different oil compared yo rear diff (lsd) in the manual it says to use 80W-90 which you cannot find in lsd section of oils so that is hy i asked if 80w-140 would be fine to use.

tweak'e I live in the mountains but its onlt a 8min drive to the bottom im guessing thatll be fine

LSD oil is straight 140.
That is the best oil to use for LSD's.

no, its certainly not the best as it would be horrible in cold weather. might be fine in a truck that is on the road 24/7 but i would not recommend it for light vehicles.

tweak'e I live in the mountains but its onlt a 8min drive to the bottom im guessing thatll be fine
depends on what your air temps are. as long as its not down to ice/snow temps it should be ok.

no, its certainly not the best as it would be horrible in cold weather. might be fine in a truck that is on the road 24/7 but i would not recommend it for light vehicles.

well a few of us have used it for years with no problems!!!!
JUST SAYING!!!

I also add a active to mine,and you can tell the difference that the additive is in there,it seems to make the LSD lock quicker!!!!

I may have miss read Danny's post,I wasn't aware he was in cold country.

🍺

well a few of us have used it for years with no problems!!!!
JUST SAYING!!!
a few years means nothing. most things won't fail in such a short time span unless way way out of spec.

it depends a lot on use. mono oils actually last longer but they are not all that suited to on/off usage or short trips. they are more suited to vehicles that are in constant use and have heavy loads, which is why they are used in trucks.
what makes it harder for diff oils is you can't sit there and let them heat up like you can with an engine. you have to drive them for them to heat up before the oil will thin out and perform correctly. that can be a big problem if you only drive a short distance and then it cools back down before you drive again.

Guys, settle. Tweak'e is talking about someone that lives at altitude (cold) that drives to a warmer area. Coastal QLD is always warm, so using a mono oil in your diff will work fine for you but might cause damage for Danny and that's what Tweak'e is saying.

High weight mono oil won't lubricate as well when it's cold. If you have an additive that assists with that, perhaps you could tell us what the additive is and what it does to the oil.

a few years means nothing. most things won't fail in such a short time span unless way way out of spec.

This means nothing to me!!!

That is your opinion!!!

And I have my own opinion!

That is the end of story!

This is Danny's post!!!

Would you kindly remember that!!!

ya got your panties in a bunch :wristy:

Guys, settle. Tweak'e is talking about someone that lives at altitude (cold) that drives to a warmer area. Coastal QLD is always warm, so using a mono oil in your diff will work fine for you but might cause damage for Danny and that's what Tweak'e is saying.

High weight mono oil won't lubricate as well when it's cold.

not all that good even in a warm aera. mono's are best suited for a vehicle that does constant driving. if your out driving all day then it works fine. but for most people who do short trips, its hard on the diffs.
80w140 is like treacle at room temp, mono 140 is even harder again. the bearings have a tough job pushing there way through it and the drag on the gears is a lot more.

ya got your panties in a bunch :wristy:

not all that good even in a warm aera. mono's are best suited for a vehicle that does constant driving. if your out driving all day then it works fine. but for most people who do short trips, its hard on the diffs.
80w140 is like treacle at room temp, mono 140 is even harder again. the bearings have a tough job pushing there way through it and the drag on the gears is a lot more.

140 is the recommended oil for the LSD in the D22,have a look in your owners manual, been using it for 11yrs in hot /cold long /short runs diff is still in perfect condition.

140 is the recommended oil for the LSD in the D22,have a look in your owners manual, been using it for 11yrs in hot /cold long /short runs diff is still in perfect condition.
i think you will find that its a 80/85w-140 rather than a straight 140.
i use 85w-140 in one of the 4wd's. tho its better with a 80w-90 in winter (not snow country either).

i've never seen a manufacture recommend a mono oil in a car or light commercial.

also the 2000-2006 d22 use 80w-90. the 140 came in with the yd25 when they changed diff ratios.

i think you will find that its a 80/85w-140 rather than a straight 140.
i use 85w-140 in one of the 4wd's. tho its better with a 80w-90 in winter (not snow country either).

i've never seen a manufacture recommend a mono oil in a car or light commercial.

also the 2000-2006 d22 use 80w-90. the 140 came in with the yd25 when they changed diff ratios.

No it's a straight 140, mine is a 2003 model, check your owners manual,80w-90 for the front diff yes NOT the rear!

The manual for the OP's car indicates it's supposed to be "Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 or equivalent" for the REAR diff with LSD (non-locked version, which makes me think the Europeans might be getting lockers in theirs).

Browsing through Supercheap's online catalog makes me think that they only have two types of oil for LSDs - either a straight 90W or a 85W140. None of the other diff oils mention use in LSDs. Of note, the 80W90 oils like this one do mention that they're GL-5 but nowhere do they state they're for LSDs (and I did check - twice - that I got the correct info for the rear diff).

Actually one really interesting thing in the D40 manual ... the V9X's front diff takes 100ml LESS oil than the YD25/VQ40DE. Smaller diff? With more power? I don't get it.

No it's a straight 140, mine is a 2003 model, check your owners manual,80w-90 for the front diff yes NOT the rear!

from the manual
For warm and cold areas: 75W-90 for transfer
and 80W-90 for differential are preferable.
For hot areas: 90 is suitable for ambient temperatures
below 40°C (104°F).
For extremely hot areas:
140 for differential is preferable

going by the chart, 85w-90 is good from -10c to 40c ambient temps.
for hot areas 85w-140 would be my pick.

Latest posts

Back