Axle oil seal leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohn

Reaction score
I found a leaking axle oil seal because my rear L/H rear brake started to grab.
The oil gets on the pads and gums up the shoe dust.
Not unusual to find it this way I know. 80,000ks

I found a leaking axle oil seal because my rear L/H rear brake started to grab.
The oil gets on the pads and gums up the shoe dust.
Not unusual to find it this way I know. 80,000ks

Hi John I have the same problem same side. Was able to pick up a bearing kit for less than $300 it was better than paying $800 for a genuine nissan axle. Still have to replace it currently working on head. David

Dealer fixed the inner oil seal under warranty, ( extended warranty coming into play) back in April, didnt replace the shoes though.
Shoes gumed up again this week. Took it back, n told em not impressed.
Now they saying lets do inner seal which means bearing and that means whole axle assembly. Now i see why they tried to only do inner. They say they dont replace bearing only. Seems silly to me. $300 vs $800.

you would of only had to pay $25 just for the seal wich you can get from the dealer under a slightley different part number which i posted on here about 3 weeks a go, I just did both of mine for $50 i think i posted it under m226 axle. cheers

you would of only had to pay $25 just for the seal wich you can get from the dealer under a slightley different part number which i posted on here about 3 weeks a go, I just did both of mine for $50 i think i posted it under m226 axle. cheers

Did you find the bearings were sealed greased or open oiled by the diff oil plz?
The dealer now reakons the seal (inner) didnt leak this time it was the outer and the grease from the (sealed) bearing.
Of course i am sceptical about the bearing having enough grease to flood the shoes so badly that they NOW need replacing when they apparently didnt need to be replaced in thr first place.
In the first instance the dealer didnt have a place in his schedule to look at it immedeatly so i had my local mech (30yr toyota trained now has his own very successful shop) look at it. He said the seal was gone and it and the brake shoes needed doing. He cleaned the shoes with brakeclean for me so i could drive it. As i said the brakes were grabbing and the left would lock up in the wet.
If indeed the bearings are greased and the inner oil seal leaked oil through the bearing enough to wet the shoes, wouldnt the bearing need replacing or repacking anyway?
Perhaps im just cynical

Last edited:
Ok confirmed greased bearings, thanks. They did an axle assembly on the left and new shoes today. see how it goes.

Hi guys. Sorry for the thread dig but thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

I have an 08 d40 4L, around 170k. Having the same problem with the LH rear seal leaking and the braking gabbing. Have pulled the axle and have the inner seal only. Just trying to locate an outer seal. Has anyone had success and stopped the oil leaking into the drum with changing the inner seal only? I'm guessing the outer should be replaced too.

Also has anyone had success pressing the bearing off without destroying it? Mine looks like new so would like to re-use it if I do both seals.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back