STX 550 headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonym1

Reaction score
Has anyone put LED headlights on a 2012 STX 550? Is it just a globe change or do you need to change the whole headlight assembly?

A globe change - with a globe that doesn't match the precise position of the filaments in a H4 globe - will result in a lot of wasted light, and a lot of angry oncoming drivers. Almost as bad as unlensed HIDs.

It'd be nice to do though. I just haven't found a decent H4 LED unit yet. I've tried IPF Fatboys ($180 a pair I think, or was it $160) and they were ok but fragile. I now have Philips +130 globes ($100) and they're pretty good - and not as fragile.

I will have to check out what globes are available, when you say fragile do you mean they blow easily or are hard to handle when putting in the headlight assembly?

I Never tried the fatboys but ran up and down the range of the likes of the Phillip + jobs. The high numbers seem to relate to a short life. I settled on the +130 ones too.

The problem with the LED and HID conversions is as Tony said, the lamp position and shape does not match that of the original incandescent so they universally throw glare everywhere. You get lights that sometimes look bright superficially (Usually from having a high colour temperature) but that which actually perform poorly and oncoming motorists sincerely want to smash.

The only setup I have seen that might work was a bloke I saw making LED projector units that you removed the actual lamp holder from your lights and replaced it with this unit, so you had a (Hopefully) properly designed projector assembly distributing the light, it would only work on modern cars where the headlight is a flat plastic sheet rather than the older fresnel lens style of light where the lens was half of the optics instead of effectively just a cover.

By 'fragile', I meant that the globes didn't last long. Admittedly we don't stay on blacktop all the time - we love forests and the outback, and have visited many an out-of-the-way place.

Currently planning a trip to Cameron Corner. Will do Haddon corner on our way to Birdsville, which will also include a trip across the Simpson to Poeppl's corner. Bucket list is getting shorter - we recently did Wilpena Pound (take the helicopter flight at Rawnsley Station, it's worth it - Paul the pilot is exceptionally skilled) and the old Ghan steam train - very nice but doing both directions is a little tedious.

We've done all sorts of terrain (including a few more river crossings) since putting in the Philips globes and they haven't missed a beat.

Led replacement bulbs can be pretty good these days although they are not legal and the market is a minefield of various shades of dubious quality. My bike, car and ute all happen to take H4 and i replaced all of them with LED drop in "bulbs".
The ute and bike i used fairly expensive ones from a certain ubiquitous chain autoparts store, the car i used ebay china ones. They are all better and brighter than halogen but the cheap ones off ebay were the best!
Just have to look for ones that have a row of small chips most closely resembling the shape of an incandescant filament rather than a couple of big chips, a good heat sink or fan.
On the car and bike, both running small batteries, the lower current draw is a good thing.

Not sure about the 550 but my mate tried that with his BT 50 and it was throwing codes for blown lights presumably for low current draw? He had to go back to standard to get it to keep running

You can buy a "Canbus module" for them that fixes the problem. You're right, it's the low wattage that causes the car to think the bulb's blown, but the "Canbus module" is nothing more than a H4 male, H4 female socket with some wire and a resistor pack to up the load which is self-defeating. I've seen some priced at $40 or more, which is ridiculous when you know what they are.

I am looking at buying a couple of different LED H4 globes. My bike takes 2x H4 globes as well as my car, so I thought I'd try a couple of different packs and see what happens. The bike doesn't have a canbus anyway (no OBD) and the car (2009) doesn't care. Will be interesting to see if there's any improvement in light output, but also importantly, in the amount of glare for oncoming drivers.

The ones i had the best luck with wer identical to these. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180W-H4-...213295&hash=item3ad86d1661:g:IPMAAOSw2gxYwO~N
At the time there were multiple sellers selling the exact same thing and i got mine cheaper than that - $70 or $80 i think. They are rotation adjustable to get your kick-ups where you want but i didnt have to touch mine. Nice cast alloy driver box.
They all claim stupid wattage and lumin out put. Im guessing they might be more realistically 30w and maybe 2500 lumin each side.

I think I will try the Phillips +130 globes and wait till I get a new car with LED headlights as standard. The last thing I want is creating problems I don't need.

I went with adjustable FAN LED's - as the engine bay in the YD25s is hot enough, so the lights would struggle to dissipate heat - especially with the dust covers on them.

Anyway, I was sick an tired of getting so called "High Output" globes only to have them last 4-6 months. They are *so* not long life - more like brittle.

Anyway, the LED throws a nice light, i've made sure mine don't scatter and are directed more down and for the $60 i paid they where well worth the outlay. Only downside is it shows up how *yellow* the park lights and Fog lights appear in comparison.

Try and get something close to 5300K - 6000K. More usuable WHITE light and less BLUE light.

Also, clean your headlight lenses regulary and don't let them haze over!

I have replaced headlights in my 550 with LEDs from ebay china ones not bad and easy to fit
just search EBay Nissan Navara H4 led upgrade kit 55.00 + 3.00 postage USD.Sold by startax.
can bus error free no codes. They compact no fan. If you are putting into a 550 you have to
remove grill to access bolt and move headlight forward only on LHS to get in.Just be carefull.

Latest posts

Back