Replace alternator or pulley clutch?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickstanz

Reaction score
Hey guys, my alternator gave up last night in my 07 D40 STX, but I'm not sure if it's just the pulley clutch or the actual alternator as I see you can buy pulley kits or whole replacments. How do I know if the pulleys gone or if it's the whole alternator? Cheers

I just had my alternator replaced (Monday). The pulley came off the shaft completely. There was a lesson there - because my serpentine belt was nice and tight, the pulley stayed in place and turned the alternator over. If the belt was loose, all might have been lost.

The replacement alternator is 130A as well, so I haven't lost anything. My aim is to see if I can do something to the alternator pulley to "bring it back to life" as a spare. I suspect that I'll be limited to using a hammer and a mig welder but at least I'll have either a spare for the car, or something that can produce about 1kW of electricity when attached to a windmill.

What did you replace it with? I got quoted about $8-900 from a place to supply one, didn't ask any details about it, but iv just found this one on ebay, few guys on here seem to be running them without any trouble.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271245662775&alt=web

150 amp output, straight bolt on, good for $310 delivered.

They also sell the pulley kits for $80..

Will have a look tonight under the hood and see what I can see, had a quick look this morning and the alternator pulley was spinning with the belt obviously, but I didn't have a closer look. Sounded alright. OBD2 scanner showed voltage as 12v only, battery and park brake light on the dash on. Drove last night for about 15 minutes and lights turned off but didn't check voltage. So its either pully or alternator...

After doing some more research I don't think I'll go with the eBay one, instead iv talked to a guy at Ashdown Ingrim who can do a 130 amp for the same price as the eBay one and I know its coming from a reputable company

After doing some more research I don't think I'll go with the eBay one, instead iv talked to a guy at Ashdown Ingrim who can do a 130 amp for the same price as the eBay one and I know its coming from a reputable company

Being an 07 model complete alternator would be the way to go. IMO. Give you some peace of mind as well.

Being an 07 model complete alternator would be the way to go. IMO. Give you some peace of mind as well.

That's what I considered with mine having done 200,000km now (close enough) and being used quite a bit with about 360W of extra lights up front (30A) and sending about 6A into the tub and 40A into the caravan - mine's had a workout. Replacing the pulleys just wasn't an option.

I will try to rebuild it though. Just have to find the time, with the many other things I don't have time to do.

What's the amp rating on the factory alternator do you know? I'm running HIDs up front, 40" light bar, duel battery + camper battery, as well as underseat sub etc for stereo, so im probably maxing the factory alternator out as it is? Just wondering if a 130 amp is an upgrade or just a replacement

The D40 diesel has a 130A from factory.

The alternator won't put out 130A at cruise - you have to be revving the ring out of it to make it produce that much power. At cruise (about 2,000rpm) it will probably put out somewhere just under 100A.

Technically, at 2500rpm it's supposed to put out "more than 105A" and at 5,000rpm it's supposed to put out "more than 122A".

The D40 diesel has a 130A from factory.

The alternator won't put out 130A at cruise - you have to be revving the ring out of it to make it produce that much power. At cruise (about 2,000rpm) it will probably put out somewhere just under 100A.

Technically, at 2500rpm it's supposed to put out "more than 105A" and at 5,000rpm it's supposed to put out "more than 122A".
If you could get hold of a larger pulley with the same pattern, obviously you could increase the output for the same engine rpm... although the alternator probably won't last as long...

If you could get hold of a smaller pulley with the same pattern, obviously you could increase the output for the same engine rpm... although the alternator probably won't last as long...

Edit the ECU to govern the peak RPM at 4000rpm?

There are aftermarket alternators that put out 150A. That's a ton of power for what is really a small vehicle. A Cummins M11 has a 160A alternator - and some of the long-haul truck drivers have enough light beaming off the front of their rigs to be seen from orbit.

Edit the ECU to govern the peak RPM at 4000rpm?

There are aftermarket alternators that put out 150A. That's a ton of power for what is really a small vehicle. A Cummins M11 has a 160A alternator - and some of the long-haul truck drivers have enough light beaming off the front of their rigs to be seen from orbit.

Limiting the rpm may help, if you could size the pulley to achieve 130a at 4000rpm, then you would obviously achieve a higher amp output at cruising rpm.

I guess the biggest problem in a car or 4wd is trying to use up all that power all the time. Fair enough you might bave extra batteries and camper trailers or caravans to charge every now and then, but the cranking battery will get upset having that much power pumped into it when that extra load isn't there. Trucks aren't so much of a problem as they normally have 2 or 4 cranking batteries to spread that charge into....

In saying that, I probably almost have enough light coming off the front of my d22 with a 90a alternator to be seen from orbit too hahaha. But, because they're not on all the time it isn't too big a problem...

Latest posts

Back