Having issues with D40 4WD Warning Light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicnax

Reaction score
Hi guys, terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post or if the question has been covered elsewhere, but I am tearing my hair out trying to sort this out!

I'm having the common issue of my 4WD warning light coming on and off intermittently on my 06 St-x.

I was able to do a self diagnosis test to retrieve blink pattern error codes, but for the life of me I can't find a reference for these errors.

If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction, my errors are 3 and 12.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

The error chart is on page 51 of the TF.pdf part of the D40 service manual.

3 flashes means there's an issue with the vehicle speed signal from the ABS. This could simply be some muck in the teeth on the ABS ring or it could be the wires have been damaged.

12 flashes means there's an issue with the actuator position switch. From the odd wording, I'd think this implies an open circuit in the switch, so I'd wonder if there was something loose on the switch or on the side of the gearbox (and wondering if it's the latter, caused by the same thing that made the ABS an issue).

The other possibility is that odd errors are often caused by poor earths. Clean both battery terminals, if the ECU has an earth near it, disconnect it and clean it.

ABS issues can be caused by failing wheel bearings, which are close to the ABS ring on the front axles. I had it happen to me - my front right bearing was starting to disintegrate, so it threw grease out which landed in the ABS. Even under gentle braking, the ABS thought the right front wheel was locking up, so it modulated the brakes.

So the first question is this: if you take a sweeping corner (say 65km/h corner) at a slightly higher speed (say 75km/h) in both directions, do you get more noise in one direction compared to the other? That will tell you if the wheel bearing is shot (apart from jacking up the car and shaking the shit out of the wheel, of course).

The second question is this: have you been off-road, or run over a branch of a tree or anything similar? It's possible that you've snagged an ABS line and a plug on the side of the gearbox, causing both errors.

Latest posts

Back