Brake Fluid Change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernels

Reaction score
Hi guys, got the 40k km service coming up, how much brake fluid will I need to buy ?

I'm planning on buying one of the hand-held vacuum brake bleeding tools, is there a way to also bleed the ABS system ? The owners manual is a bit low on detail.

I see the manual specifies DOT 3, but DOT 3 seems quite rare, am I OK to replace with DOT 4 ?

Thanks and I wish you all a reliable 2016!

Supercheap have dot3 on the shelf. I replaced mine in my d22 with castrol dot4 response, in the gold bottle. Used around 750ml i reckon for a full flush and top up of both brake and clutch systems.

if you end up replacing with dot4 u need to flush the old dot3 (the more the better at least).

Just make sure to read the label properly. Not all fluids are compatibale

It is only dot5 that isn't "compatible" as it will wreck the brake system if mixed with other fluid. Dot 5.1 has a higher temp rating and is compatible with dot3 and dot4, but if the system isn't fully flushed, the extra temp rating means nothing as it will still boil at the same temp as the lower rates stuff. You are still better off doing a full flush regardless. I changed whatever nissan had in my d22 to castrol dot4 performance fluid and did the full flush to make sure all the old stuff was out of the system.

yes safety calls, if Dot 3 is required you should use it and not use a higher level. unless your prepared to give the entire brake line system a complete flush out of the old. Dot 3 is available at just about every motor spares shops, its not rare.

So, the only only place locally that sold DOT3 was supercheap, and only in their own brand. Every other shop only had DOT4. I ended up buying a liter of the supercheap DOT3 and did the brakes yesterday.

Job was actually quite painful since I couldn't see ANY difference between the old and new fluids. The color was identical and the 'old' fluid in such good condition that I couldn't actually tell when I had flushed the line. Ended up running about 400ml through to the rear left wheel, then about 200 to the rear right, and about 200 each through to the two fronts. Haven't done the clutch yet because I ran out of fluid!

I remember doing the job in older cars and the difference between the old and new was massive, unfortunately not so in the 40 thousand k Navara.

would be nice to have a colour change between fluid flushes so you can see the new colour coming out the line / nipple, then your 100% sure the new is all through.

The new stuff i put in mine was a clear/yellow colour so was easy to see the new fluid as the old stuff looked a bit like caramel ice cream topping haha

Latest posts

Back