D40 loss of power under load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparks1995

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So recently going up hill mainly and some times if I accelerate hard the Nav dies, it won't rev past 2000 in those cases, once off the hill it goes back to normal. Checked boot and at idle the actuator is moving. There is a fair bit of oil in the turbo. When I loss power it blows a heap of smoke.

For ref it is a 2007 d40 with 270000 km on the clock :/

Cheers
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds an awful lot like the symptoms of a faulty turbocharger actuator control solenoid (little beast lives on the back of the intercooler intake pipe and has one electrical connection and three vac hoses connected to it). Had to replace my own.

That doesn't mean it's not the SCV - which also produces similar symptoms, but without the smoke. SCV issues usually result in underfuelling (reducing the chance of smoke). Actuator control closing the turbo vanes will restrict the airflow greatly increasing the smoke, and should produce a very noticeable drop in turbo boost pressure.

So, step 1: grab an ELM-327 compliant bluetooth OBD adapter and a smartphone with Torque (an Android app). Set one of the gauges to intake manifold pressure and find a hill!

If you find it is the Boost Control Solenoid, save yourself from buying a new NISSAN part and get yourself a TILLIX Valve setup.

SOOOOOOOOO Much nicer than the Nissan vacuum system, and much crisper and smooth delivery of boost.

Back