Newbi

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy Navara

Reaction score
G'day, my name is Greg from Western Australia.
I'm about to buy a 2010 D40 Auto 2.5 Diesel.
it's getting R.A.C check now.
Looking to find out common problems so I can head them off at the pass.
Heard about combined engine and transmission radiator failing causing catastrophic transmission failure due to water getting in transmission electrics. Already made a call to get new one made so if corroded Water or Oil can't get into the other. would appreciate any one's comments on common problems for the D40.

Regards
Greg

Welcome to the forum, Greg.

The tranny problem is really only there because the tranny cooler is inside the radiator. That does help the gearbox to warm up quicker, admittedly, but a solid impact on the front of the car can cause cross-contamination - you'd end up with radiator coolant in the gearbox, and transmission fluid in the water jacket of the engine block.

There's an easy fix. Get an external transmission cooler! There are two small hoses connecting to the bottom of the radiator. Either replace these entirely with ones that will reach the new cooler mounted in front, or risk a leak with the extra joins. Mine's been done, both for the cross-contamination issue and because we tow a heavy van and don't want the transmission getting extra heat from the engine.

Other possible problems: some YD25 engines of that era had timing chain issues, but most of those should have either failed or been replaced by now, so if yours is still going there's a good chance it's fine. The SCVs are questionable, faults/failures resulting in a failure to accelerate (artificial limp mode) that is resolved by turning the car off and restarting it. The turbocharger control solenoid is also a bit iffy, it will either result in poor performance with lots of black smoke, or super performance all the time depending on how the valve stopped when the unit failed.

Other than that, they are a great truck. My own vehicle is a little older, and I've had my rear diff rebuilt, transfer case output shaft bearings replaced, turbocharger replaced, SCV replaced, turbo control valve replaced, I've replaced the vac hoses and one wheel bearing. About 265,000km on the dial now and it's still purring.

Latest posts

Back