Engel Eclipse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin_7

Reaction score
Has anyone here got an Engel Eclipse?
We currently have an Evakool FM70 fridge, but now we have a camper with a gas fridge its a bit big for our needs.
Im thinking the Eclipse will be better suited as it will take up less room & will be more likely to consume less power.
ive heard people say their engels cusume around 1amp while my evakool is around 2-3amps

When the compressor is going it will draw 3 amps in real terms. Waeco and Engel are fighting for the market atm.Anaconda in Qld no longer stocks engel.
Both are good the waeco gets more bad reviews than the engel.

I have an eclipse. Insides are all the same as the metal Engels just plastic casing and no temp gauge. I just bought a $35 engel temp gauge and all sweet. Hasn't missed a beat.

When it in cycle it draws about 2.8amp. Less when not in cycle.

Ok cool, have you been able to test or guesstimate how much the eclipse uses per hour (I.e amp hours).
Just trying figure out if its worth downsizing.

My old Engel is 24yr old and has been in 4 cars.I would not downsize a simple idle in the morning for 15 mins restores the agm battery to normal voltage.
If you are fussy or a beer person salted ice in a GOOD cooler such as Evercool will do the trick. Use that for your drinks and the Engel for the perishables.

Yeah ive got a cteck dc to dc charger...its just the evakool 70ltr is a bit overkill for size now that weve got the fridge in the jayco eagle

Ok that makes sense. You probably have the rm2350 3 way in the van. It works well when installed properly. I keep my engel as backup or a freezer, but I can see your point about the fridge is large, but back to the original subject that fridge will serve you well.The 3 way is known to break down at the worst time and having backup is good.

Yeah im not to sure what model it is, its great on 240 & gas, but seems very average on 12v when driving.

Yep, got the Eclipse a year or ago. Can't see any reason to pay another $500 for a temp Guage and metal casing. Put a bag on it and buy a $30 Guage. Haven't measured the amp hour draw but can run my 120ah for a few days

Awesome! Looks like ill be trying to see the Evakool and downsize to an Eclipse.
The Evakool was a great fridge when we were tenting, but its overkill now.

Yeah im not to sure what model it is, its great on 240 & gas, but seems very average on 12v when driving.
The 12 volt heater draws around 12 amps and has no thermostat most of the 12 volt installs use the aux pin on the trailer plug. This is not able to carry the current and can be a fire risk. Have you thought about an inverter to power it on long drives that way you have more control .

to be honest I havent looked at other options to power the fridge, as i thought the way Jayco wired it would've been sufficient.....now im a little annoyed

to be honest I havent looked at other options to power the fridge, as i thought the way Jayco wired it would've been sufficient.....now im a little annoyed
It may well be wired properly but the main reason the poor 3 way gets such negative feedback is due to not being installed correctly. The trailer plug is still insufficient to supply the current it draws, an Anderson plug is the only way.

It may well be wired properly but the main reason the poor 3 way gets such negative feedback is due to not being installed correctly. The trailer plug is still insufficient to supply the current it draws, an Anderson plug is the only way.

I was told why but it is common for 3 way fridges to chew the juice on 12v.

I was told why but it is common for 3 way fridges to chew the juice on 12v.
Well an average cranking battery is going to be flat in less than a few hours running a 3 way on 12 volt , I wired mine direct to the isolator with 8mm wire.That way if I stop for a few hours 2 120a/h agms look after things.

the fridge manual did say that it shouldnt be used on 12v to cool things, its just to try & maintain an already cold fridge while in transit

For what reason does the fridge run poorly through the trailer wiring?
Ive checked out the guage & it can handle the amps required by the fridge.
Is it because the wiring isnt large enough voltage to the fridge without a large voltage drop?
Or is it because the trailer plug itself isnt good for delivering good current?

Latest posts

Back