Instant tent or Normal Tent?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Njorden

Reaction score
What would be the best choice camping? Some websites have said that an instant tent is the best option, but others saying the normal one. I'm totally confused, do you have any idea about both?
thanks in advance

What would be the best choice camping? Some websites have said that an instant tent is the best option, but others saying the normal one. I'm totally confused, do you have any idea about both?
thanks in advance

That depends what you want, where you're going and how many people etc. I really like the instant tents (have a couple), and have used them quite a lot but have noticed the quality doesn't seems as good as the better standard tents (a bit flimsy) and they are limited by their design. Also dearer, for what you get.

Have a good look before you buy an instant tent also as due to the round shape at the ends, a lot of them aren't really long enough for a couple of adults (some not long enough for one unless a midget lol).

For convenience and ease of use though, you can't beat 'em. If you're going somewhere likely to be wet you'll need a fly and so on anyway so a regular tent will probably be as easy.

Some people love swags, but I hate them. No easier than a normal tent to set up, less room and probably take up more room to store amongst your gear.

It actually depends on your style of camping. If you move locations often or only use the tent for sleeping and nothing else, the instant tents are nice. But, if you set up a base camp and then live out of that for days at a time and spend time in it in poor weather or to read/eat/relax, I prefer regular tents. Look at this article- https://www.abc-of-rockclimbing.com/camping-tents/ from here you will a lot of this on camping tent.

Last edited:
I have a dome tent with a "vestibule" area that was great until a big wind destroyed one of the fibreglass stick sections and the inner seal came away from the fly. Whodathunk the wind could do so much damage.

I'm now looking for another tent, but I want one with two areas but packs small enough to fit in my motorcycle's trailer. I'm not in a rush - the next time I'll be away on the bike will probably be around March next year.

I have a coleman dark room insta tent 8 person to fit every one in. easy to set up even by myself when missus has to deal with the kids. weight is only 20-25 kgs packed up and will go back into its own bag but i use a storage box so all its bits are with it. I have every type of camping style from caravans to i man tents for the bike. Camper trailors and alike and find this a good alternative that covers all the bases. I always put the fly up only takes a extra minute. for me the ease of set up is a winner as have a fucked up back but like Ive said can be set up alone and a 8 person tent aint small. One thing I would suggest is throw away the pegs that come with it and buy better ones. makes a big difference when weather is not he best. Heaps of you tube videos on all styles.

For about 14 years, all I use to use was an Army Hoochie. till Ex Partner decided shed would like to try the camping experience . . . everything went to shit then.

I've had a couple of tents since, I have a 2x Person Throw Down Tent . . . throw it out and it self's erects . . . absolute prick to fold-up again if you hadn't used it in a while.

But for My Ex's first camping trip, I purchased a Dome Tent which was used over a raining weekend away. she didn't like the water runing down the tent awning and down her back . . . So here started the compromise . . .

After 14 years sleeping on the ground, I wanted to be able to sleep on a camp stretcher and stand up inside, I wanted it Fast and easy to setup . . . a possible awning large enough that could be used between the Car, to allow cooking under if raining . . . so we ended up with an Ex Display OzTent - $900 worth.

As stated by 'Tims40', the OzTent is bulky, I have the RV5 so it's 2000L x 400W in it's bag, and a little heavy, so you would need a Roof Rack for most vehicles to carry it.

You need to follow the instructions for both unpacking and packing up the OzTent, otherwise you can buckle the frame work and damage the tent.

Apart from getting it off a high roof vehicle . . . Simple for single person set-up.

It takes about 5min for a basic setup - 4x pegs ready to sleep, about 20min pegged out, awning up, stretchers in ready to sleep. If it's windy, you do need to peg it out well - 2x Verticals and 4x sides minim to keep it stable.

Pack up is about 20min, and directions must be followed to get it back in it's carry bag.

I took the OzTent on my Simpson Desert 21 Day Trip with my Stepfather in 2012. It was comfortable for the whole trip and we had Heavy Rain and Strong Winds over a couple of nights, and the tent stood up well.

If you can afford the cost, I can strongly recommend them.

Robinvale - Night #1 Camp.jpg

I've had 3 tents and here's my tip. Don't get one where you have to mess around with poles.
If it's just for one or 2 people to sleep in only, the Oztent is excellent but I opted for the Explore Planet Earth instant tent.

Latest posts

Back