Continued dramas with reverse lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pix

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you can help. I searched this topic and all I found were results for reverse lights that don't work, where as mine do work, sometimes. When I first select reverse (manual box) the lights come on, then when I start to release clutch they either turn off or flicker. Not that I’m complaining too much, it's just that trying to reverse out of a unit complex with strobing lights is somewhat of a challenge.

What would cause this? And would changing the reverse switch on gearbox be easiest solution? And lastly, is changing the switch an easy job?

Cheers,

Pix

i would be looking at reverse switch
try pulling it out and cleaning it b4 you replace it
they unscrew easily

Mines doing the same thing.
I'll have to have a look at this switch.

Yea rang nissan today, part number is 3200521U1C, just under $50 from them, I'll pick one up Monday and try find the spot where it goes.

Finding the reverse lamp switch is easy. From the D22 service manual:

attachment.php

It also says that in reverse, the switch should be "closed" (no resistance when tested with a multimeter). In any other gear it should be "open".

Attachments

• D22GearboxSwitches.JPG
    D22GearboxSwitches.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 7,416
Thanks Tony, looks easy enough to find.

Thanks for the part no Pix.

has anyone managed to change this switch?
i cant seem to get a spanner on to it.

If yours is in the same spot as mine I used the old double spanner trick and got enough leverage onto it... took a while but she came. Maybe give that a go?

has anyone managed to change this switch?
i cant seem to get a spanner on to it.

The switch is covered by a plastic band which slides up over the wiring, you can then fit a spanner to it.

On this topic, mine was doing the same thing, but found the actual switch was ok, just a break in the wires to it near the switch itself. 10 mins with a soldering iron, tested with a multi-meter & back in business.

Ive noticed when in reverse that my reverse camera is flicking on and off, im guessing I must be the same problem.

Had the same Symptoms, didn't even think about the switch at the time (thanx for the tip tho, ill have to remember it if the problem comes back). My problem went away when i changed the tail lights to LED's
(Just my 2c)

Mine was the same as described, and was like that for a while then it stopped all togeather for a few years. Got under the car last nite, played with the wires to get at the switch, tried to move the switch with a spanner, slipped and knocked my knuckles, swore, got cold, put all the wire covers back on and went back inside to the warm house. Next morning go to reverse out of garage and guess what? Lights!!! On the whole time the thing is in reverse! Im putting it down to the dodgy wires in the switch thing. So maby try trace that option?

Mine was the same as described, and was like that for a while then it stopped all togeather for a few years. Got under the car last nite, played with the wires to get at the switch, tried to move the switch with a spanner, slipped and knocked my knuckles, swore, got cold, put all the wire covers back on and went back inside to the warm house. Next morning go to reverse out of garage and guess what? Lights!!! On the whole time the thing is in reverse! Im putting it down to the dodgy wires in the switch thing. So maby try trace that option?

i didnt change mind in the end either.
had a go, but couldnt get it then next thing i know its working.
that was about 2 years ago, so ive got a spare switch in my garage.

since the bodylift i think it would be easier to change now incase i need to in future.

Latest posts

Back