unexplained loss of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crack

Reaction score
gday all

just had my ute go in for warrenty. went to overtake a truck and all of a sudden the engine dies. still running just no power. no lights or codes came up either. pulled over turned the car off and back on again a couple of times until it went back to normal. did this to my wife about 2weeks ago at traffic lights.

nissan looked at it when it went in for its 40k service and they cant explain it. so its back in again today.

anyone had this happen or know what may have caused it?

jack

Suction control valve. Pop the fuel a little to let tank pressure out. The problem won't happen again.

thats what nissan said. but the tanks been filled several times scince. the thing that makes me think otherwise is that it would rev but not go anywhere.

That sounds exactly like what was happening to Beergutz. We looked at his compared to mine, and his fuel rail was running about 2,000KPa higher than mine and boost was a fraction higher too.

That was resolved by loosening the fuel cap. I don't know if it's a faulty/blocked valve in the fuel cap or something else - but if it happens again, loosen your fuel cap and try it again.

ill keep it in mind. im sure the wonderful wizards of nissan will be able to work it out :p

Check the MAF sensor, Maitland Nissan have 14 of them doing it at the moment, no codes, lights, nothing but one guy has got his to throw a code to the MAF.

Got to love technology :)

well theve had it for 2 days now and i havnt heard anything... dont know if thats good or bad.

My truck has 110k and has just had the Suction control valve replaced.
Has fixed one problem - engine cut out under load, but now the engine is thrown into limp mode when idling. No EML comes on.

Back to Nissan today - arrived in limp mode - to which they said after 6hs what is going on as can't see the issue? Why have some many in maitland had issues? Fuel quality?

I had same thing happen a couple of times. Complete loss of power for no apparent reason and no warning lights or fault codes. Restarting fixed the problem each time. Nissan had it for a day and reckoned problem was with the fuel pump which they claimed needed recalibrating. Havn't had any problem since in last 20,000 km.

well it was the fuel suction control valve. so apparantly its fixed. we will see when i get home in 2weeks.

Mine now has 13k on clock and does this more often than not, total loss of power, wont rev past 2900, no lights or warnings, just does it, my nephew has a 2011 STX 2.5 6 speed to with 3K on clock, same issue, he wont drive his unless he has to, I have to drive mine for work, but other than that it is parked and I use our Prado, as it runs perfect every time.

Can this fuel suction control valve just be replaced without the need to leave car at Nissan overnight etc? will they need to recalibrate ECU or anything like that? I cant have car off the road, it is my tool box, transport and whole means of work, a day off costs me too much.

does anyone have a part number for this "suction control valve", I just rang Nissan parts, he could not give me a number, just a whole fuel pump assembly. I would like to buy a valve and change it but need a part number, or a link to a parts book.

Thanks

Mine now has 13k on clock and does this more often than not, total loss of power, wont rev past 2900, no lights or warnings, just does it, my nephew has a 2011 STX 2.5 6 speed to with 3K on clock, same issue, he wont drive his unless he has to, I have to drive mine for work, but other than that it is parked and I use our Prado, as it runs perfect every time.

Can this fuel suction control valve just be replaced without the need to leave car at Nissan overnight etc? will they need to recalibrate ECU or anything like that? I cant have car off the road, it is my tool box, transport and whole means of work, a day off costs me too much.

It is a warranty claim so they will need to do it.
Ask them for a drive car for the day?

Mine came back the day, after the SCV was replaced and the car still not working 100%.

Issue was the MAF sensor connection was dirty.

Mine came back the day, after the SCV was replaced and the car still not working 100%.

Issue was the MAF sensor connection was dirty.

A problem with the MAFS would throw a very specific DTC that they'd pick up on their diagnostic equipment.

The connector won't dirty easily, it's on the back end of the air intake high up under the bonnet. I suppose we should all be checking that, and using electrical contact cleaner on the inside of the MAFS, on a semi-regular basis.

Just been reading through this thread, have been away for a while working.

My stx D40 as Old.Tony previously mentioned has been entering limp mode on the odd occasion for quite some time now. It was when we placed Tony's bluetooth dongle on we noticed the fuel rail pressure difference. I loosend the cap and had instant success and it stopped straight away. The main problem was after this it did not happen for quite some time, by then i had retightend the fuel cap. Too long between episodes to proove cap is an issue.
This is a very frustrating thing not to mention as dangerous as all F#$k. I have nearly been cleaned up a few times when trying to overtake.

I spoke to nissan about this issue when my Nav was still under warranty. Their response was "No codes and couldnt faullt" basically fobbed it off. I finally captured this issue on my phone entering limp mode and posted it on youtube for those that want to watch. I asked nissan about the suction control valve and the responded that this problem was not associated with my 08 model but 09-10 models. My mate has since bought a new stx and he has 2000km on it and is experiencing the same issue. He took it to nissan and went off his tree at them. The y said it was a known problem that they have had but did not have an answer as to why it happens. I think he is pusuing the "lemon law" and going to give the truck back.
I think this issue is far more wide spread than people realise. Something that the salesman keep to themselves thats for sure. Maybe ACA should pick up on this and see what can be stirred up. Its not much fun entering limp mode when trying to overtake and then having to pull over on the middle median strip to reset as you have no power to merge over safely to the left hand breakdown lane. I brought this issue up with my truck when under warranty, im going to take it back and make them investigate again under warranty conditions as the problem has been there since new. My biggest concern is taking it in and them charging like a wounded bull for every part possible because that is what their computer tells them too.

Old.Tony i wonder what pressures are running at while it is not entering limp mode on command? might be interesting! i have not been able to make it enter limp mode on command since the night we took it for a drive with the Tourque app connected. Come to think of it when i was recently up Qld it entered limp mode while stuck in traffic on the M1 freeway with no heavy acceleration....no wonder im going grey!

Here is my video link
Nissan Navara STX-D40 limp mode with no CEL - YouTube

Latest posts

Back