Android vs iPad - 4x4 maps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddkid82

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a tablet (either the Samsung Galaxy or iPad with 3G). As far as 4x4 maps go on these devices which would you recommend as the better one to buy?

Personally I'd keep away from iFad's, proprietary shit costs money.

As far as software goes I really don't think there is any difference other than the odd cosmetic change. I have run Garmin PC (which sucks badly) with a mix of both Garmin and other maps I downloaded. I've also run the vic high country topo maps that were floating around about 18 months ago on a WinCE hand held unit.

Now I run a Win7/Android tablet and a $18 USB GPS reciever and the only reason I have stopped using it is because GarminPC is possibly the worst front end every created and I'm waiting for someone to come out with something new. But with a dual boot Android tablet you wont need to worry about a PC front end or sacrificing your left nut to Apple each time there is a slight technical glitch.

I'm still using teh old Garmin Product called "nRoute".... Works a treat but u need to do some map conversion to read the later maps.... but u still got the Garmin Key code issues

Personally I'd keep away from iFad's, proprietary shit costs money.

As far as software goes I really don't think there is any difference other than the odd cosmetic change. I have run Garmin PC (which sucks badly) with a mix of both Garmin and other maps I downloaded. I've also run the vic high country topo maps that were floating around about 18 months ago on a WinCE hand held unit.

Now I run a Win7/Android tablet and a $18 USB GPS reciever and the only reason I have stopped using it is because GarminPC is possibly the worst front end every created and I'm waiting for someone to come out with something new. But with a dual boot Android tablet you wont need to worry about a PC front end or sacrificing your left nut to Apple each time there is a slight technical glitch.

I'm still using teh old Garmin Product called "nRoute"

Is that still downloadable? It's been a while since I checked for decent software because I don't use a GPS often but last time I checked I thought people were saying nRoute was no longer available.

Is that still downloadable? It's been a while since I checked for decent software because I don't use a GPS often but last time I checked I thought people were saying nRoute was no longer available.

It's not available off the Garmin website but it might be able to be sourced from somewhere off the Web. I got mine from a mate and there's nothing that I've seen that come close to it. I've also added Shonkymaps to it which is great in the bush/outback

I run the ipad 2 3G and downloaded the HEMA map app for $149 only a few weeks ago after seeing mates use it. I didn't want to spend the $$$ on a VMS and would rather use my existing technology. Very happy with it and its map detail!!! would recommend it to anyone. Russ

I've got the iPad WiFi 3g model that was new mid last year, I run mudmaps
Not the easiest to learn or navigate but it's always find me cell reception or not.

It has a wide variety of maps with it. Paper, Google, smartTOPO etc

I would probably try track down the other programs to try before I bought it again thou just to see the difference.
I do like it thou

we use a samsung galaxy tab 2
running various maps,mudmap qs&m ect
it also supports the amazing torque app
works great
anything ipad/pod/phone sux imho

how do you guys go with data on this and GPS. Do you need to tether to a sim device or what?

what about the inbuilt dash type GPS like pioneer etc. Do these work offroad?

I have the iPad WiFi 3g model running mud maps and I'm yet to be somewhere it can't find me....

If I find myself frequently visiting those places I'll buy a badelf GPS attachment for the iPad to get that extra boost :)

interesting. As long as mobile cell is active then should be no issues. More was thinking is no GSM you are going to be introuble

Hi Oddkid82,
We have just returned from a 21 day tour of our great south west oz using our ipad mini and the mudmap app. Found it to be a great asset while traveling the national parks, tracks, back roads and through the major cities. Also allows you to review campgrounds ect while traveling around to help pick the next spot. Have to pay for topo maps additionally though.

interesting. As long as mobile cell is active then should be no issues. More was thinking is no GSM you are going to be introuble
The Sim version iPad has a GPS receiver in it, like the iPhone. The WiFi only iPad doesn't. You can still use the Mud Maps app without a sim in it.

Latest posts

Back