Nissan Steel Bar - Missing winch cradle - 10' D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxmalone

Reaction score
Gday lads,

I have a 2010 D40 with the Nissan Steel bull bar. I purchased a 12,000lbs Domin8r winch a couple weeks back. Went to go get the winch fitted and was advised my bar is missing the cradle/winch mount plate. I purchased the car with the bar already fitted so I am not sure if they removed an existing winch and never put the cradle back on (B**tards lol)

I was wondering if anyone has had one made up, or sourced locally? Or if I am having to go to Nissan directly (which I really don't want to) I would assume it to be just a 3mm plate with aligned holes and high tensile bolts. Which I could get made up, just not sure on dimensions and alignments.

Would love any input regarding this, maybe if someone has the Nissan bar can they send through a photo of under the bar, would be a great help.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds a bit strange to me. If it is the genuine nissan steel bar, a winch should bolt straight in. Tjm bars need a cradle, but the genuine nissan one is supposedly made by arb, which don't need a separate cradle.

Can you put any pics up of the winch mount point on the bar?

That's what I was thinking also. I have taken a few snaps. Wasn't sure the views you need, so let me know if you need more.

Not sure if last post submitted correctly, so I will retry with the photos. Let me know if you need more views.

4_05_2015_11_17_17_AM.jpg

4_05_2015_11_16_31_AM.jpg

4_05_2015_11_16_01_AM.jpg

Tried to post the photo's but was waiting approval, ive edited my original post to show photos.

Edit,
Which i beleive is also waiting appoval now lol

Last edited:
this shows the back of the winch mount points

4_05_2015_11_16_01_AM.jpg

its the 4 holes - this photo shows only the bottom 2.

Juju is right, we should make it clearer. I've edited one of the pics and it's below.

Points to note:

1) The number plate sits too low, it needs to move.

2) The fairlead only has two mounting points (the winch has 4) and the fairlead mounts on the two holes marked in the picture.

3) The other mounting holes for the winch are below the two shown in the photo.

4) The winch must be installed in such a way that the cable comes off the top of the drum and out through the gap shown through the fairlead to the hook. It doesn't matter if you use steel or Dyneema rope - that's the way this bar was designed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4_05_2015_11_15_44_AM.jpg
    4_05_2015_11_15_44_AM.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 596
Thank for all the help lads, I went to my regular guy last night instead and advised him to take the bar off first and that the winch rope needs to feed from the top. Then I checked here and it was suggested to do that also, win!

My non-regular mechanic must of been high the day I brought it by :confused3: when he looked at my bar, he thought I was wanting it mounted infront of the bar -_-

Should all be sorted now, got the bloke fitting it today as how suggested above.

Churs

Last edited:
Hi all

Reviving this thread as I am in the same situation. Just this morning I bought a Domin8r winch....my first winch ever.....feels almost like losing my virginity! I guess using it first time to winch my Nava out will be like a threesome! LOL

Anyhow, do I really have to take down the entire bullbar or can I somehow install the winch from underneath?

Cheers

Dr. OzLov

I have a Nissan steel bar and I installed my winch from underneath. Took both protective plates off and away I went, the beast went in from the side of underneath (take your plates off, you'll see what I mean). Control/power side on the left-hand side of the vehicle, clutch mechanism on the right hand side.

I'll probably not be able to do that again. I lifted the (38kg) winch into place with one hand while I positioned the bolts with the other. That hand is now suffering quite badly from arthritis (probably from lifting too much stuff!), so if I have to replace the winch it's going to be a lot of fun. I can see myself jury-rigging a small crane to lift the winch in after removing the grille.

Latest posts

Back