Roof Drain Channels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its very common happened to my fathers started to lift it was repaired and you cant tell it was done. my mate that works at the panel shop that fixed it actually he fixed it said they do heaps of them. to fix it properly they remove all the sealant from the channel and put real sealant in there not crap then repaint not just blow over it like nissan did originally. id get it done if i own it. if it goes to a decent panel shop you should never be able to tell its been repaired. my mate told my father not to worry about it but my father is picky and wanted it fixed. mate said once he broke the skin of paint it just fell out (sealant)
So if left it would of been a big problem down the track. so id make nissan fix it under warranty if you have the issue and still under warranty

Man I really got a Wednesday car. Apart from in the tub where I don't care about scratches I have one scratch on the tailgate I did with a screw driver in my pocket which didn't go past the clear coat and I have one spot which chipped back to the undercoat when I dropped a pair of pliers onto the rear panel. Otherwise my paint is still in near new condition which considering the cars only been washed 4 times in 3 years and never been waxed or the like doesn't seem too bad.

KraftyPg said:
Man I really got a Wednesday car. Apart from in the tub where I don't care about scratches I have one scratch on the tailgate I did with a screw driver in my pocket which didn't go past the clear coat and I have one spot which chipped back to the undercoat when I dropped a pair of pliers onto the rear panel. Otherwise my paint is still in near new condition which considering the cars only been washed 4 times in 3 years and never been waxed or the like doesn't seem too bad.

Like an elephant. Protective coating of shit

Protect it with whatever you want, I've never had an issue with Nissan paint work.

Mine is nowhere near any sealant. It's just like a grey lead pencil line, where the top coat has not got full coverage into the inner edges. A lot of people wouldn't even notice. Like the ones who don't wash their car much :rofl2: (that was a joke!)

Not sure if anybody has watched "Restoring Dreams" on Ch31. If not it's a program about a bloke who owns a company that restores old cars of GT Falcon vintage.

During one program he was banging on about how they try to replicate the Ford factory paint finish in the engine bay, ensuring that the spray gun is held in such a manner as to allow some areas of undercoat to be exposed, just as it did from factory.

The roof channels are pretty dodgy being wavey from the spot welds anyway so it is not surprising that there is not a great deal of attention to detail in regards to paint.

Last edited:
Had mine re done under warranty. they tried to say i had done something etc.. also had rust spots on roof.

all good till 6mths later and the channel has turned to shit again and wrinkles the paint up.
Also noticed it on the inner guards when you open the bonnet up the front... just thin shit paint imo.. cbf fixing it again

Well this is a kick in the pants.

Ive got this issue on my 08 STX. I only got the car recently, I noticed clearcoat on the top of the roof flaked in 2 patches and the roof drain channels have surface rust down them. TBH i though there was a plastic covering that had been ripped off.

Think its worth hitting up my local nissan dealer for good will or will they just write it off as I only just received the vehicle in this condition?

Else is it worth hitting up the local painters and just having a quick spray to fix the issue? Ive got a few marks that are just on the clear coat around as well maybe I should just get the whole thing touched up.

Well out of warranty I doubt they will look at it but what have you got to loose by visiting them, they can only tell you no, never know they might surprise you and offer a good will repair.

May walk straight into your dealer and ask them to inspect it. If they say no. Call Nissan an have it inspected again. Many vehicles with rust issues have been repaired outside of warranty.

If u get a reapray its only going to happen again. Best way is to give a light sand, put some touchup paint on it and get a professional sealer to run some proper sun and rain grade silicon, just down in the right angled corner where the rust forms, a grade to last for a long while in the conditions. this will eliminate the water that keeps sitting in the corners and thus causing the rust.

Dezz

I had mine resprayed and the painter showed me that the stuff they put in the gutter rails was a good sealer. The primer wasnt put on properly so the paint didnt adhere properly in the first place.
He guaranteed the paint wont lift again

My D40 is in at a repairer in Toowoomba for its channels to be resealed and touched up. Quote was for around $2500 i think. Nissan approved and so on.
BUT - no loan vehicle was made available by any parties involved... for warranty repairs to a NEW vehicle. Nissan would not accept my case that it was a manufacturing fault and thus where is my replacement vehicle for the duration? Both Nissan dealers (Warwick and Toowoomba would not party either). FFS not happy about having to get my brother to drive for 4 hrs before he went to work for the day (arvo shift) to get me back home.
Oh, AND he will need to do it all again on Friday (if it is completed on time) to get me back to my D40.
NOT good SERVICE for warranty repairs in my book.

Hi guys,

Not sure if this thread is still alive but I'll try anyway... I've got a 2006 STX D40 which I bought about a year ago. Got the same issue with the clear coat, mainly on my door sills on the passenger side (must have always been facing the sun in that direction with the previous owner).

The attached photos show how the clear coat is coming away. It's actually gotten a fair bit worse now and is cracked and peeling back. Looks like it might be starting just to the side of the bonnet on the passenger side too. My roof gutters are the same as what you guys have described also.

What are my options? A full respray is gonna cost me an arm and a leg (probably a kidney and a lung too). Can I get a painter to bring back the damaged clear coat and re-apply new clear and blend it in?

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0215.jpg
    IMAG0215.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 72
Since the roof paint on my 2007 STx has just about had it, flaking, scratches and dodgy home repairs by a previous owner, I’m considering a home spray job to sort it out.

The sealer in the rain gutters has shrunk back leaving a gap. Assuming I’ll rake it all out does anyone know what I would refill with? Some sort of sikaflex or a special auto body sealant? I haven’t seen reference to self repairs on this other than touch ups.
Pic showing thw rear of the gutter and the surface rust in the gap.
B024C7A1-4DD0-4DC4-A861-1637AC4629D8.jpeg
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I purchased some seam sealer and cleaned out the gutters took a bit of hammering with a chisel and old stuffed screwdriver. No serious rust yet, but plenty of surface rust.

Gave it a good going over with a wire wheel and put some rust converter on.
Progress pic
1411B451-D27A-46D9-88D3-2936B9CABA4F.jpeg

Hello

I havea similar problem with rust around roof drip mouldings. I have had to remove the mouldings to repair, my problem now is what do I replace the mouldings with. Other manufacturers have a replacement part but Nissan does not (or I can not find).

Has anyone any ideas what I can put there to replace the old mouldings.

thanks

Chris

I purchased some seam sealer and cleaned out the gutters took a bit of hammering with a chisel and old stuffed screwdriver. No serious rust yet, but plenty of surface rust.

Gave it a good going over with a wire wheel and put some rust converter on.
Progress pic
View attachment 34500
Hey mate

What are you thinking of replacing those mouldings with?

thanks
Chris

Do you mean the plastic mouldings right at the back of the channel, or the full length? I orisednoff the rear plastic mouldings and will reuse.

The rest has been filled with seam sealer. Just under two tubes put on in two layers. I cut a plastic scraper to shape for the top layer. I still need to tidy up a bit by scaping back overspread and then needs a coat of paint.

Do you mean the plastic mouldings right at the back of the channel, or the full length? I orisednoff the rear plastic mouldings and will reuse.

The rest has been filled with seam sealer. Just under two tubes put on in two layers. I cut a plastic scraper to shape for the top layer. I still need to tidy up a bit by scaping back overspread and then needs a coat of paint.
Thanks mate

Good idea, I rang around to try and find anything aftermarket, but nothing, rang Nissan and theY don’t replace either. I rang a few panel beaters to see what they do and the ones I rang only deal with insurance jobs. Are there any real panel beaters around now days.

I’ll probably do the same.

thanks

Chris

Latest posts

Back