Really using alot of diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmdrift

Reaction score
hi everyone

my 08 auto yd25 has really started using lots of diesel lately
nothing has changed in the last 12 months but in the last 3-4 months i have gone from 600-650k's to a tank to just getting 300k's to a tank. it is a bit better with aircon off. i am really struggling to figure out what is going on with it so any help would be much appreciated.

id be giving the maf sensor a clean and do a ecu reset and see how it goes. careful cleaning the maf sensor. use electrical cleaner like co contact cleaner or maf sensor cleaner and dont touch the diodes inside it. let the cleaner evaporate before refitting. then see how it goes. im assuming its serviced regularly

Last edited:
yes regularly serviced and maf has been cleaned about 2 weeks ago with the right maf sensor cleaner spray car has also done over 200k+ on the odometer and never had a timing chain done would that be something to do with it

How long since fuel and air filters were changed? That would be something to check. Actually check the air filter in case they have charged you for it but not changed it. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a purge on the fuel system done, or do it yourself.

Does it drive OK? Is it down on power or any surging of the engine either at idle or while driving?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'd start with a purge too but if you can, whack a bluetooth OBD adapter on and grab your phone and monitor the boost pressure. I had to replace my turbocharger just after 200,000km - I used a Forefront unit and I'm happy with it.

oil, fuel, and air filter were done just over 2000k ago i do all my own servicing. have done diesel burge, and the intake carbon clean and as for boost it is running the same as it always has up to around the 26psi mark at full noise. as for performance it is going like a dream never misses a beat still smokes both back 33" of the lights no dramas

Did the 08s have a dpf? Or was that the later models? Could be trying to do a regen on the dpf, otherwise to be using that much fuel without a dpf, you must have loads of black smoke pouring out of it... Either that or the torque converter isn't locking up and slipping a lot making the motor work harder than it has to. When was the transmission fluid last changed?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'd suspect that if the TC was slipping excessively the extra RPM would be noticed, but sometimes the extra smoke is hard to spot.

A regen does use a lot of fuel. If the DPF sensors (which that model should have, DPFs were on 2007 models) indicate regeneration needed and the DPF isn't fitted - its' a common problem for those deleting the DPF - the car can emit massive clouds of white smoke. A forced regen is usually required, and replacing the sensors (send a PM to "auggie" on this forum to get some) is required to continue using the DPF delete pipe.

Put simply, extra fuel consumption has to be noticed somewhere. It's either going to be combusted (fully or partially) resulting in more revolutions per minute than usual or more smoke than usual, or the engine oil levels are rising ... now THAT is a major issue (unlikely here, I suspect the OP would have noticed). If they rise sufficiently, diesel will be ejected through the PCV into the intake causing overrun and the loss of the vehicle.

Twice the fuel usage!? Must drive like an absolute pig and blow plumes of smoke if its not going in the sump. If not could it be a fuel leak?

Clean maf sensor. Do ecu reset, check air filter, check fuel filter cap for pressure, change servos you go to, change fuel filter.... List goes on

Latest posts

Back