VQ40de fan clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok question to the wise
I have the V6 Petrol and temps are starting to creep just a little
With the engine up to full temp at 96C ( gotta luv the scangauge) I can shut down the motor and spin the fan by hand in either direction

Me thinks the fluid coupling is cactus however I got quoted over $1100 from Smissan for the parts. Not gunna be paying that when I can get a new unit from the US for $142 plus freight.
BUT before I go down that route can someone either check their fan clutch or tell me for sure that its cactus.
Just for the record looks like a prick of a job too

Nissan just rang me back and the foreman says it will be a blocked Radiator
So which way to go?
Rad from Evilbay runs about $200 to $400
Still doesnt solve the issue of the fan clutch,,,is it cactus or ok
Can someone with a v6 Petrol see if theirs is easy to spin in both directions when at operating temp.

Nissan just rang me back and the foreman says it will be a blocked Radiator So which way to go? Rad from Evilbay runs about $200 to $400 Still doesnt solve the issue of the fan clutch,,,is it cactus or ok Can someone with a v6 Petrol see if theirs is easy to spin in both directions when at operating temp.

Just checked mine Aussie.
And yes mine does spin both ways at operation temperature.
But mine is a 22
But it is the V-6 version.
Hope this helps you out.

Hope you solve the dilemma mate.

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Cheers Geoff thanks for that, makes me feel a little easier lol
So I bit the bullet and got a new rad today.Its my daily so cant afford for it to be off the road.Everyone I spoke with like the guys at Neesan and the rad shops all said the same thing. Blocked Rad and more likely due to not using genuine Neesan coolant.It apparently reacts badly to anything else.I flushed the system for hours when I did the change but all signs point to Neesans coolant gooping up in the Rad.Going to take out the thermostat and hopefully get absolutely everything out of the system.
Just for some price comparisons....
In Aus
Clutch fan $1100
T/stat assembly $147
T/stat gasket $12
In the US
Clutch fan $142
T/Stat assembly $16
T/stat gasket 79 cents

Cheers Geoff thanks for that, makes me feel a little easier lol So I bit the bullet and got a new rad today.Its my daily so cant afford for it to be off the road.Everyone I spoke with like the guys at Neesan and the rad shops all said the same thing. Blocked Rad and more likely due to not using genuine Neesan coolant.It apparently reacts badly to anything else.I flushed the system for hours when I did the change but all signs point to Neesans coolant gooping up in the Rad.Going to take out the thermostat and hopefully get absolutely everything out of the system. Just for some price comparisons.... In Aus Clutch fan $1100 T/stat assembly $147 T/stat gasket $12 In the US Clutch fan $142 T/Stat assembly $16 T/stat gasket 79 cents

Bloody hell huge price difference

Hope the flush works out for you.

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Aussie Frontier... Did that solve the problem?

My car started to overheat with the aircon on during hot days when in traffic so I was guessing it was the fan clutch also.

Was just about to bite the bullet and buy a new oem fan clutch from ebay.com in USA for US$170 delivered (got a quote for $1140 in AUS!!!) before I stumbled on this thread.

Also running a koyorad radiator that's a couple years old now, may be the problem..

I replaced my radiator and problem went away.
Apparently the coolant is the issue and if at some stage you have mixed coolants it can block the tubes.
I filled both old and new rad to see what the diff was and it was only maybe 200ml so it obviously doesnt take much
When I spoke to Neesan they said they had never heard of a fluid clutch failing

Ok question to the wise
I have the V6 Petrol and temps are starting to creep just a little
With the engine up to full temp at 96C ( gotta luv the scangauge) I can shut down the motor and spin the fan by hand in either direction

Me thinks the fluid coupling is cactus however I got quoted over $1100 from Smissan for the parts. Not gunna be paying that when I can get a new unit from the US for $142 plus freight.
BUT before I go down that route can someone either check their fan clutch or tell me for sure that its cactus.
Just for the record looks like a prick of a job too

Quick high jack dude. What scangauge you got. Seen em on ebay. What one would suit my 2.5 40...2011 Thai... Cheers big ears

Back