Tow capacity STX550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck

Reaction score
Gday I have just upgraded my 2007 STX 2.5 dual cab to a new STX550 which will be used to tow a caravan with an ATM of 2.7 tonne. I am considering updating the van and I am having trouble working out the maximum weight the 550 can tow. Usually the the towball weight is taken off the maximum towable weight which is 3 tonne. I cant see any reference to reducing the 3 tonne tow weight only what appears to be a reduction in load depending on the towball weight
I spoke to the dealer about it and thought I had it worked out but what is confusing me is the example on the 550 spec sheet which states:
If the loaded vehicles rear mass is reduced as shown in the tables, the towable download can be increased correspondingly. Accordingly if the laden mass is 180 kilos less than the GVM a towable download of 200 kilos is approved.
Example in table:
"Towable download 200kgs- reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 60 KGS."
The vehicle tare is 2104 KGS
The vehicle GVM is 3010 kgs
I have gone right through the owners manual and no mention of reducing the trailer tow capacity. Does this mean I can legally tow a trailer/caravan up to 3000kgs and Max towball download of 300kgs
Can anyone explain it a bit clearer
Thanks

Towball download depends on several factors, and you should ask the van manufacturer what their recommended ball weight is.

Example: our previous caravan (1.8T, pictured in my sig currently) had a ball weight of 180Kg as you'd expect. Our new caravan (2.5T) has a ball weight of just 130Kg.

So, once you know the ball weight - you have a table to look up. In my own car, that 130Kg means I don't have to reduce my GVM by anything. For my previous van, the table indicates that I have to reduce my GVM by 60Kg.

So what does that mean, in real terms? My vehicle's GVM (the maximum laden weight of the vehicle) is 2980Kg. With the previous van, I had to reduce my GVM to 2920Kg, so I could put fuel + passengers + stuff in the back to bring my car's weight to 2920Kg, then hook up the caravan.

Does that help?

Thanks Tony I can see now that those weights affect the the Ute's carrying capacity and was mixing them with the caravan weights which leads me the question on say the van weight loaded (ATM) 2.9t and 10% towball weight of 290kgs do I have to reduce the Max tow capacity by 290ks making it 2.71t as I can't see any reference to that in the owners manual. I was looking at a van that had a 2.9t ATM.

Ball weight isn't necessarily 10% of the trailer's total mass - my new van's ball weight is only 130Kg, it's 2.5T. Previous van was 1.8T with 180Kg ball weight.

You don't reduce the tow capacity - you reduce the amount you're allowed to carry in the Navara. GVM is the total mass of the car, GCM is the total mass of the combination of car + trailer. Assuming yours is 10% though (which is a good marker to begin with, but if the axles sit roughly in the middle of the van it'll be less) then you'll probably drop your GVM by 60Kg - so you can't put as much stuff in the tub.

Latest posts

Back