Brake controller install??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozstickman

Reaction score
I have been slack and I still haven't put my brake controller in. What I'm asking is, can I tap into the service brake wire that goes back to my trailer (if it exists) under the cab or am I going to have to run a new wire from the cab all the way back to the trailer plug?

Cheers n beers
Sticko

The trailer wiring loom on my D22 plugs into the car harness just behind the tow bar. I had to run the trailer's electric brake wire all the way to the plug

Last edited:
i agree with happy john, i used 25amp cable when i did mine. should give you the info needed for the cable in the instructions.

You really need to tap into the brake switch so that you can position the controller where you can see the display/indication and use the manual brake lever in case you get a sway happening.

Then run 6sqmm cable down to the back. Each wheel in a 9" brake draws about 3.3A and in a 10" brake about 3.5A - my van draws 14A. That's over 50% of the capacity of 25A cable - you'd end up finding soft insulators with a huge potential for shorting out.

Don't forget to put a fuse in the wire - it's running under the car and can get snagged by a stick/stone/etc.

Cheers.
Meh, buldge more power and pull the sway out! Sorry, truck driver here. Always told to leave a little go in the pedal to pull out of sticky situations.

Looks like running a wire under the ute.
Cheers

Back