Federal Election

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will you be voting for in September

• Labour

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Liberal

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • Greens

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
20-25% of Spains electricity is generated by wind turbines. They have much less land than us and a far greater population (over double). So how is wind not capable of producing electricity.

Thats like saying TNT isn't capable of producing the same damage as a nuke. It is if you have enough of the shit.

Wind is capable of producing electricity it's just not very cost effective. Firstly there is the outright cost of each turbine, then there is the footprint each turbine takes up and then there is the simply maths that will tell you it takes many many wind turbines to match one coal fire power station.

There is also other factors like the fact that power stations are already in place and do not require as much money to keep running as wind farms require to set up. The fact that while wind turbine fanatics claim they are green energy they conveniently forget to take into account just how ungreen their manufacturing is. Coal is a valuable resource that makes more sense for us to use than it does for some company more interested in dodging aussie tax laws to come in and mine the shit out of it when the government backs down and sells the rest of the country to the world.

Wattle Point Wind farm in SA has 55 turbines for a combined maximum output of 91 megawatts over an area of about 17.5 square kilometers. Yallourn Power station (one of the smallest) is capable of 1400+ megawatts, over less area and actually provides employment. It maybe dirty but it's shitloads cheaper.

There is also the really really bad and evil side of wind turbines, they keep people awake when spinning, the cows get annoyed and ice sheets flung from then cause a lot of damage, of course those three aren't proven they are just reported from those who live close to them but a power station still doesn't throw ice at people. :ha:

Anyone we can't vote for is always a better choice than what we have, except Bob Katter and Banaby Joyce.

Not the biggest Katter fan, however I do like the way Barnaby stands up for the farmers.

I am with Krafty here, wind turbines are a waste of time. Now where are these made again. Thats right, China. Now how is that helping Australian industry.

Although these Green schemes are in good intensions, who is benefiting from it. Not Australia's.

Green power is apparently on par pricewise with coal burning power plants.

How about that, several years ago coal was so so much cheaper, States and government influences changed all that.

Green energy is only competitive because the public are subsidising it.

We have Billion's of tonnes of coal, why are we demonising coal and selling it off cheap and punishing the Australian people why Asia burning our coal without a Carbon Tax. Yet, coal burnt in Australia is hit with the carbon tax.

If I had my way, all subsides's would be removed from Green energy. If they couldn't compete, let them fail or cut costs.

I say develop newer technology to reduce polution, but do it at a slower pace while people cant still afford to live comfortably.

The high Australian dollar and our wages are making us uncompetitive as it is, do we really wanna drive more business's off shore ?

Small business's keep the country going, Greenies and governement just live off them and tax payers.

Not the biggest Katter fan, however I do like the way Barnaby stands up for the farmers.

Barnaby? The member for cubby station? Those farmers?

How about that, several years ago coal was so so much cheaper, States and government influences changed all that.
Yep, it is called privatisation and screw the bastards company management.

If I had my way, all subsides's would be removed from Green energy. If they couldn't compete, let them fail or cut costs.
How about ALL subsidies from ALL forms of energy? That would be fair.

I say develop newer technology to reduce polution, but do it at a slower pace while people cant still afford to live comfortably.
The real problems is people's expectations and not whether they really can live comfortably.

Small business's keep the country going, Greenies and governement just live off them and tax payers.

As opposed to all the subsidies given to big companies?

No he stands up for himself, he kisses the arse of those who he thinks will vote for him who at the moment happen to be farmers. But he's not helping any one group of farmers that much.

I am with Krafty here,

You can help me fart in Biscuits ear to put him to sleep.

Green power is apparently on par pricewise with coal burning power plants.

That has a lot to do with the amount the green groups have been able to increase the cost of burning coal. Coal is still a far cheaper alternative per kilowatt and will always be but too many greens groups (not just the greens party) have convinced successive governments that those using coal need to pay a premium.

Small business does to some degree keep the country going but that's mainly because the bigger the business the more ways they have figured out to avoid paying Australian tax. Or worst still the bigger the business the more chance they are sending profits off shore, these are the business Liberals in particular, but both parties to a degree, support.

No government is innocent of encouraging such behaviour and each government will make their own cuts forcing more jobs off shore, more manufacturing off shore and more Australian money off shore, all while saying they are supporting the aussie tax payer. Anyone who thinks a change of government will stop such behaviour is kidding themselves.

However small businesses can be just as guilty of such behaviour. There are a large number of small business sending money off shore, there are just as many small businesses downsizing because they can't afford to keep staff (as opposed to sacking staff to raise pays of CEO's) and there is just as many small business in it for themselves and not the greater good of their fellow country men. Small business really isn't that different to large business

I'm not sure that China own a patent on exclusive right to build wind turbines.

You bang on about business, how about an Australian business offer to build them without a 1000% (government contract standard) mark-up.

The problem with this country is that it has been living from pay to pay (election to election) for to long. Each government has had it's own self interest at heart focusing only on decisions that will get it re-elected come next time round.

What the country really needs from both parties is a bit of forward planning (like the NBN) where they are not so focused on the short game to get them re-elected, but they are focused on the long game to benefit the country.

I'm not saying we should shut down the coal industry and all coal power. It woul take years to get wind turbines to a number large enough to provide sufficient power levels. But what i am saying is, shouldn't we at least try? Where is the harm, if it is done gradually and over the long term. It would create jobs, installation and long term maintenance, support and parts. Where is the harm. No one is asking you all to become hippies and stop showering.

The coal power stations would be needed to pick up the slack anyhow as it is not always going to be blowing a gale, but surely it is not a bad thing to try?

Not sure which Australia you have been living in, but the one i live in has had governemnt funded electricity subsidies for decades and recently those subsidies have been scaled back as governments save money on budgets amazingly electricity prices have increase at the same time.... Not sure green energy had anything to do with that. I'm sure about here is where you will jump on the Andrew Bolt / Alan Jones bandwagon and blame the carbon tax. However these increase have been happening since early 2000's. Carbon tax is still only 1 year old. I haven't even noticed the bloody thing.

You should really do a little research outside of Alan Jones and the Murdoch press. It's amazing what other truths are out there. Some are evn based on facts.

No one is asking you all to become hippies and stop showering.

No one needed to ask me to stop showering. I did so out of a courtesy to others. Now everyone knows when I'm around and they can flee the scene before I get there.

I'm not sure that China own a patent on exclusive right to build wind turbines.

Where are the ones that were/are made in China?
I thought our initial ones were all made in Europe, then, with government subsidies, we started manufacturing them until demand dropped and now we have to import them from Europe again.

Well there is the point that a wind farm like Wattle Point has 55 fans for a total of 91KW and takes up 17.5 square miles (lets forget that wind doesn't always blow). Yalloun Power station (when the fcukers stop striking for 5 minutes) produces 1400+ KW over a fraction of that space.

By those figures alone Wattle Point needs to be 14 times the size it is to generate the same power as one dirty power station. 700 more fans and 245 square kilometers of space taken up. It's not quite that simple but seriously that sounds efficient to me and it has the added bonus that when we build enough fans to replace 3 more power station each producing in excess of 1800MW housing will be cheap enough for everyone to afford because every house will need atleast 1 fan in their backyard.

By those figures alone Wattle Point needs to be 14 times the size it is to generate the same power as one dirty power station.

but wattle point can run cattle or other live stock and or can used for crop growing etc. Not sure I want to eat anything that comes from inside the yard of a power station.

Also, are you considering the cooling water lake that goes with it? Every frigging coal powered station up here has a massive cooling lake attached to it.

Latest posts

Back