Roof top tents.....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.
I've been thinking for a while now about taking the plunge into roof top tents....
As much as I like the idea of somewhere to stand up and get dressed in the mornings as well as wet weather storage areas.
The concept of the roof top has got me curious.

So, those that have, thoughts?
Would you get another one ?
What do you love/hate about them!?
Any photos would be great too?

I think for trips where you are on the move all the time they would be great, but if you want to set up camp and go out wheeling for the day then the packing it up every time you wanted to move might get a bit boring?

There are caveats with all of them.

1) I can't take my caravan to Big Red but I can take a tent/swag/rooftop tent.

2) I can't take my rooftop tent on a 4WD trip because of all the packing and unpacking

3) I can't take my tent on a highway tour around Australia, you just don't pitch tents in outback rest areas (usually, anyway).

So it comes down to what you want it for. One of those pop-out folding shower "ensuite" tents with a small portable toilet and rechargeable Ironman shower takes care of your dressing, washing and toilet needs in either tent or rooftop tent.

If you want to come wheeling at Lithgow, for example - bring the rooftop tent, do the wheeling, and camp at the end of the day. Pack next morning and away you go. Same for a tent. We used a largish tent last time we went to Lithgow and it was fine, especially with the opening of the tent under our awning.

I won't get a rooftop tent because I don't want the solar panel covered. The ground tent works when we're wheeling and when we're touring, well, you saw the van!

Have one love it but it is restrictive in normal setup, but I'm in process of making a frame with legs to allow it to be lifted up and drive out leaving it setup, then drive back under lower it down lock it on :)

I have one. As said if you only stay one night it means packing up and setting up alot, although that only takes 5 mins.

I actually built a trailer and mounted in onto that. It means I can still go anywhere (offload trailer), but can leave it set-up while on daytrips etc.

Would post pick but can't off phone.

I have one. As said if you only stay one night it means packing up and setting up alot, although that only takes 5 mins.

I actually built a trailer and mounted in onto that. It means I can still go anywhere (offload trailer), but can leave it set-up while on daytrips etc.

Would post pick but can't off phone.

I have a similar set up by the sounds of it. I contemplated a rooftop on the Nav but it seemed to be a lot of buggering around. I'll post a pic when I can.

Mike you saw my trailer at the muster . I can set up in 1 min , take it to the beach , if we don't like the scenery or neighbors hook up and move without even packing up & has another purpose I can take my tinnie with me uploadfromtaptalk1416169212675.jpguploadfromtaptalk1416169265924.jpg

Some interesting points there fellas!

My experience in trailers off road is nil, as my old man never towed in the bush, must have left that impression on me because I've never thought about it..... Something about it being more stress on the car.

I did like your trailer gonzo, though I think I'm a touch tall!!

Is there much room inside these tents? I'm 6'3 and not a small bloke, though the Mrs is tiny enough. Do two people fit in them happily? Or will Alicia be giving me black eyes during the night?

They are 1.4m wide, so plenty wide. You can get some slightly bigger etc I see advertised.

This is mine.
Fits two adults with tonnes of room and one small child - obviously a bit squishier. I'm close to 6ft.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416187107515.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416187107515.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 194
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416187233936.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416187233936.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I must say this idea of having one on a trailer is sounding better and better....
I did like Scotty's one at the muster!!

I must say this idea of having one on a trailer is sounding better and better....
I did like Scotty's one at the muster!!
Yep, just easier. I was going to get one for the nav roof but didn't like the idea of the extra weight on the roof. Just fussy. At least with the trailer you can just unhook it without packing up if you need to drive somewhere. Another good thing about the rooftoop tents is they double as an awning, somewhere for the dogs to sleep or set up your camp kitchen.

Yep, just easier. I was going to get one for the nav roof but didn't like the idea of the extra weight on the roof. Just fussy. At least with the trailer you can just unhook it without packing up if you need to drive somewhere. Another good thing about the rooftoop tents is they double as an awning, somewhere for the dogs to sleep or set up your camp kitchen.

You need not worry too much about the weight. Dynamic weight limit on your car (the max you can carry when moving) is 95Kg. Most rooftop tents weigh about 45Kg so by the time you add bars, clamps etc you might not see much more than 60Kg.

Static loads (ie once you're camped) are around 3 times that - so unless you're thinking of throwing 250Kg up there it won't be an issue ever.

Putting the tent onto a trailer - like you have, and we saw at the Muster on Scotty's - that solves the issue of having to pack all the time if you're camped somewhere for a few days and 4WDing.

You need not worry too much about the weight. Dynamic weight limit on your car (the max you can carry when moving) is 95Kg. Most rooftop tents weigh about 45Kg so by the time you add bars, clamps etc you might not see much more than 60Kg.

Static loads (ie once you're camped) are around 3 times that - so unless you're thinking of throwing 250Kg up there it won't be an issue ever.

Putting the tent onto a trailer - like you have, and we saw at the Muster on Scotty's - that solves the issue of having to pack all the time if you're camped somewhere for a few days and 4WDing.

Yeah, I think it all comes down to personal choice and purpose of use but yep it was more so the static loads I was referring to. The kayaks go on the roof racks, no where for the roof top on the navs roof! :)

Yeah, I think it all comes down to personal choice and purpose of use but yep it was more so the static loads I was referring to. The kayaks go on the roof racks, no where for the roof top on the navs roof! :)

That's the other benefit of having the trailer mounted tent, can have kayak on roof.

Just bought an Austrack RTT last wk, My brother is a fabricator and kindly made me a custom tray which was picked up from the powder coaters and fitted today, he is making a full removable alloy canopy for the tent to go on and cant wait to have it all set up. Put a steel bullbar and runva winch on tonight also and have the 4wd systems auto lokka ready to go in as well... Me and the misses are moving to Bamaga at the very tip of the Cape in Jan for 3-4yr's so thought the nav would need a few upgrades haha

I've had mine for nearly 20 years and still love it.
Can be a PITA if you are setting up and packing up multiple times a day, but for overnighters it's great. We bought it originally to go to the Cape and it was perfect.
There's photos of it in the Muster Photos thread on page 8

Last edited:
I had one till recently, i was using it for prospecting trips so weekend set up, they are perfect for that sort of stop over but as said not long to set/pack up, i had to leave mine on permanently (no room for storage) and the fuel consumption went thru the roof, i have gone back to swagging it now.

kev

Latest posts

Back