Rear diff noise when turning sharp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00dave

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

New here and already have a question... I have a 2008 d22, have had it for about 8 months. I noticed a noise comming from the rear (may be the diff) sounds like a graitting nosie. Its only when i turn sharply. A mate said it could be the brake shoes rubbing on the drums... but that do'nt make sense to me... why only when turning? Jacked the rear up and turned the wheels and no noise I'm guessing it only happens under load. At speed and when going strait its silent... Anyone had the same problem?

Giving this a bump as it needed to be approved.

Has the diff got LSD oil in it or open diff oil ?

Hey Chaps... Noise started after a diff oil change... think they put the wrong oil in so drained the oil today (no shards in the oil) and put castrol exp 80w-90 oil back. Hopefully the noise will die now...

Is it LSD oil? I'm not sure whether the exp 80w-90 is. I could be wrong. If there are no metal particles your right.

You should of used castrol lsx 85w-140 for rear diff and the exp for front diff.

Check the castrol website and a few others like penrite and nylon maybe

lsd oil

Went to supercheap auto and had a look on their there diff oil chart effort thing and it recons 2001-2007 d22 should use the exp 80w-90 ...myne is a 2008 but there was nothing on the chart about the 2008 d22 so i asume it should be the same? Is castrol exp 80w-90 the same as lsd oil... anyone?

Dave if it were me is stick to something that stated limited slip on it. The other stuff you got is for front diff I'm pretty sure. Look for anything saying limited slip on the front. wrong diff oil in the LSD doesn't go well. Saying this I have to check mine.

Goodluck mate

lsd oil

Thanks Rusty... took her for a drive and the noise is gone tho...still gunna replace with the proper lsd (lsx85w-140) tomorrow. Oh well live and learn I guess... Cheers Chaps for your inputs.

While this topic is up I mentioned I should look at mine. Well I have the day off tomoz and gonna look at the condituon and replace if milky or off coloured. Any tips to doing it. What's best way to do it. Also noticed nulon did a fully syn LSD oil. Is it worth the extra $$ or just semi syn it?

Thanks Rusty... took her for a drive and the noise is gone tho...still gunna replace with the proper lsd (lsx85w-140) tomorrow. Oh well live and learn I guess... Cheers Chaps for your inputs.

Mate if you don't want the 140 in the rear supercheap do the lsx 90 which is a lil thinner I think. It's only $14 for a litre or $34 for 4 litres.

Hey all .
Just an up date on my diff sagga... rang automasters spearwood and ask what oil they put in the rear diff at its 80 000 km service and they told me they "checked the oil" but did not replace it. They should have replaced it cause it was buggered (black and probly totally spent). The only reason I took it to them was because its still under warenty. I have decided stuff the warenty , I'll be doing my own servicing from now on.
I also wrote a letter to consumer protection telling them that i want some sort of refund for the service i payed for at automasters which was 782.00 bucks!!!
Anyways don't take ur cars to automasters, they are dishonest and real expensive.
Should be called autodoggymasters.

Yeah no good Dave, my mechanic puts an additive in with my diff oil, not sure what but I can find out. He does a lot of 4b diesels (3 Navs in there last time) so I take his word for it.
I have the opposite problem though he forgot he did it last time so did it again! Oh well $25.
Good luck gettin some coin back.

The fat bastard who services my ute takes his f@#kin time and drinks coffee while he works on it, And try,s chatting up my wife when he does her car :sarcastic:

DP chip

Thinking of dp chipping my Navi... dose it really make a hell of a difference? :idea:

Back