Engine oil change?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Guys, now that i have fitted the EGR blockoff plate and the engine oil is abit Black, [ 1,300 klm,s on the clock ] should i replace the engine oil now and then change it again at 5,000 service along with the oil filter ? my thoughts are i still have 3,500 klms to go before the first 5k service and this will be atleast 2 to 3 months away , the distances i drive at present so putting in some new oil would make me feel better or is it just a waist of time doing this now. ??

thanks but i thought without the EGR blocked off, the engine oil naturally becomes black from soot etc but it is supposed to be alot cleaner with the egr blocked off. what do you think ?

I wouldnt stress too much mate, blokes with zero mechanical knowledge drive them around with the EGR unblocked. For the sake of regular servicing intervals, it will be fine.

I blocked mine ages ago and didnt change the oil until it was service time. One thing to do (if you havent already), clean the MAF sensor (pipe from airbox to turbo has a sensor plugged in the back held in by two small screws), slide that out, give it a quick spray with contact cleaner, then do an ECU reset by disconnecting your batterys negative terminal for 30 secs, then reconnect.

Your Nav will idle nice and smooth and resets the ECU after doing the EGR block. Just take it easy on the throttle for a few days as the ECU re-learns your driving style. Your fuel economy will improve too.

I thought that if your engine doesnt get enough k's up for a service interval in 3 months the oil and filter should be replaced ie: every 5 or 10 thousand k's (whatever is recommended or more often) or every 3 months, whatever comes sooner

so is it good to have a sooty smell to the engine oil or is it better to have a clean non sooty smell to fresh ? i thought with the EGR blocked off , the engine oil will become cleaner without the soot build. what do you think ?
what i am on about is for the cost of some new oil which is bugger all and my k,s on clock 1400 have to waite until the 5000 mark for another change no filter until 10,000. being an old petrol guy i do like clean engine oil so if replacing this now will benefit all the better but others say she,ll be right mate. ????????:confused2:

so is it good to have a sooty smell to the engine oil or is it better to have a clean non sooty smell to fresh ? i thought with the EGR blocked off , the engine oil will become cleaner without the soot build. what do you think ?
what i am on about is for the cost of some new oil which is bugger all and my k,s on clock 1400 have to waite until the 5000 mark for another change no filter until 10,000. being an old petrol guy i do like clean engine oil so if replacing this now will benefit all the better but others say she,ll be right mate. ????????:confused2:

Black oil will be the norm for you from now on. I Changed my oil and filter at 5000km, and have since changed oil and filter at every 10k and an intermediate oil change at the 5 k interval..

Regards

Greg

dunno what the deal is with changing oil and not the filter, for the cost of the filter i'd be replacing that too.

I would put a new filter in now and top up the oil then let it go until 5000km, at this point I would replace oil and filter every 5000km although some opt for every 10000km or 7500km.

Jonney it's not really about she'll be right it's more about the fact that oil after 1400 ks is basically new. It will turn black quickly after a change due to remnants of oil left in the oil galleries through the block. Black oil for diesel is normal due to diesel being a high carbon emitting fuel when it burns. Changing it now wouldn't hurt it. You could change the oil every 500ks if you want to. Cost vs necessity/oil science.

In short: if your engine oil isn't black after a week of changing it the oil isn't doing it's job. Its all about cleaning the engine.

Latest posts

Back