Nads

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahahah. I'm assuming you mean nats as that means Nissan anti theft system... If you want nads, I'd suggest looking in your pants........

Does anyone know where I can get the nads installation fitted in Perth?

Do you mean nissan anti detonation system as discussed on patrol forums?
If so this is a diy thing, basically navaras just do egr block and catch can and maybe an intercooler if you have 3 litre.

Mine has had the same turbo for 8 years. Still has great boost through the revs. They blow up if you flog them. Same goes for any vehicle. Look after them and they will last.

Of course you CAN flog them, but don't be surprised, pissed off or blame the car when the turbo does blow. Any damage from a hard life is solely the drivers fault.

Sorry for ranting, but Nav's don't like blowing turbo's by themselves. Nav drivers do :)

One thing i will recommend buying to help prolong your turbo's life if you do hit the tracks or tow alot, is a plug & play turbo timer. Takes 10 minutes to fit, and gives your turbo a chance to back down in temp after a hard time towing etc.

Last edited:
ZD30 Navaras don't have the same reputation for grenading as the early Patrols do, but a catch can and EGR block are still a good idea.

Yeah one of the blokes I used to work with had his turbo blow and get sucked into the block that was around 370k just a bit worried heard a few stories. I tow a toolbox trailer for work a fair bit just wanted some reassurance to know that wont happen.

As said above man, catch can, EGR plate and turbo timer. Set the turbo timer for 2-3 minutes after a hard drive towing, or for 1-2 minutes not towing with a long highway drive and its good reassurance for your turbo.

Keep your Nav serviced to the tee (im really anal about my servicing). I do my diffs and transmission every 40,000, and a minor every 5000 with a major every 10,000 (as i said, very anal). Mine's an 06 and never skipped a beat. After you do the EGR block etc, do an ECU reset and you'll be laughing.

Turbo back exhaust doesnt hurt either. The diffs and trans dont NEED to be done so early, but for the sake of $60 worth of LSD fluid, and $90 parts and labour on the trans service, its good insurance.

The diffs you can do yourself VERY easily. Just make sure you undo the FILLER plug before you undo the drain plug.

Last edited:
^^ I'll agree with virtually everything you said but I change my rear diff oil every 40k too, it has such a small volume (1.3 litres) and as a lubricant goes gets worked very hard, the front diff however can easily go out to 60k unless it has been off roaded heaps.

^^ I'll agree with virtually everything you said but I change my rear diff oil every 40k too, it has such a small volume (1.3 litres) and as a lubricant goes gets worked very hard, the front diff however can easily go out to 60k unless it has been off roaded heaps.

Yeah man i do BOTH diffs every 40,000. Front and rear. For the sake of maybe $50 of oil for both diffs, it beats a diff rebuild i reckon. You can never be too pedantic about servicing as far as im concerned.

Yeah one of the blokes I used to work with had his turbo blow and get sucked into the block that was around 370k just a bit worried heard a few stories. I tow a toolbox trailer for work a fair bit just wanted some reassurance to know that wont happen.

370 000 kms on the original turbo?
Pretty fkn good going. I hope mine goes that long!
Some say theses things should be replaced at 100000 to 120000 kms. Some are getting over 200 000 km, some less. If you have more than this and dont want to replace turbo chuck on an intercooler as a catching mit like I did. Some intercooler info is in my intercooler thread in the diy section.

You havnt told us how many kms you have or what motor? Im guessing zd30 or we still wouldnt be talking shit, and as rumpig says the navara zd30 never suffered like the patrol zd30, lots of differances.

As for the stories youve heard, you will hear shit loads of bad stories on the net because people are desparate or need help/advice with a problem. What about the 100 000 of them that are running around with no trouble, you dont hear about them because theres no point posting up your vehicle is running fine.

Last edited:
As for the stories youve heard, you will hear shit loads of bad stories on the net because people are desparate or need help/advice with a problem. What about the 100 000 of them that are running around with no trouble, you dont hear about them because theres no point posting up your vehicle is running fine.

Spot on the money there!

370 000 kms on the original turbo?
Pretty fkn good going. I hope mine goes that long!
Some say theses things should be replaced at 100000 to 120000 kms. Some are getting over 200 000 km, some less. If you have more than this and dont want to replace turbo chuck on an intercooler as a catching mit like I did. Some intercooler info is in my intercooler thread in the diy section.

My turbo has done 230 000kms and am thinking of replacing it. Last service I had they mentioned the turbo is fine but the seals might be on their way out. Should I just replace the whole thing?

Well, obviously the turbo has to come out to do the seals, so it depends, while it's out, if you want more power and you have the coin, you may as well upgrade. But then you may as well go the hack and do an aftermarket dump pipe, exhaust and tune, intercooler upgrade etc etc.

If you are happy as is, you may as well just do the seals on the factory one.

When these things come up and the part of the car is out, you need to think at the time what your plans are for the future is reguards to your upgrades. While it costs more coin to upgrade, it can save you some cash in the long run if you choose to change that part in the future.

Diffs are another example. Alot of blokes who need a seal or something replaced in their diff, will often add shorter diff gears while the diff is out to save some labour and cash in the future. Same for transmissions and suspension to name a few others. Just my 2 cents, not everyone agrees.

My turbo has done 230 000kms and am thinking of replacing it. Last service I had they mentioned the turbo is fine but the seals might be on their way out. Should I just replace the whole thing?

Who is they? Personally I trust no one and do my own work.
Im no mechanic (but very mechanically minded) but how can a seal might be on its way out. Its either sealing or its not?

Whether you should replace your turbo or not? Probably with 230 000km on it.
Are you running an intercooler?, if so you have the choice of running to failure should you so desire. Maybe risky maybe not.
Put it this way I put on an intercooler at 120 0000km so I can sleep easier, I would put on a forefront dardy one (turbo, not intercooler) long before 230 000km buuuut this is easy for me too say because I have 140 000km on now and only do about 7000km a year so hopefully a long time before I have to think too much more about it.

I should also add when I first got car at 120000 km I took turbo off and took it to turbo place for a quick inspection, they said it was fine.
I put intercooler on anyway.

Last edited:
Im at 280000ks , d22 3ltr, 90% towing, Oil changes every 10000k, Original turbo,gear box and dif oils have been changed once over the life of the car, still runs like new.

Who is they? Personally I trust no one and do my own work.
Im no mechanic (but very mechanically minded) but how can a seal might be on its way out. Its either sealing or its not?

Whether you should replace your turbo or not? Probably with 230 000km on it.
Are you running an intercooler?, if so you have the choice of running to failure should you so desire. Maybe risky maybe not.
Put it this way I put on an intercooler at 120 0000km so I can sleep easier, I would put on a forefront dardy one (turbo, not intercooler) long before 230 000km buuuut this is easy for me too say because I have 140 000km on now and only do about 7000km a year so hopefully a long time before I have to think too much more about it.

I should also add when I first got car at 120000 km I took turbo off and took it to turbo place for a quick inspection, they said it was fine.
I put intercooler on anyway.

They as in the guy doing the service. I asked to check as I notice some oil around the turbo. Performance wise it still goes great. Have no intercooler but am thinking of getting a new turbo and intercooling just because of the kms it has done

Im not mechanically minded so don't do my own work. Also i do have an aftermarket exhaust which made a big difference

They as in the guy doing the service. I asked to check as I notice some oil around the turbo. Performance wise it still goes great. Have no intercooler but am thinking of getting a new turbo and intercooling just because of the kms it has done

Im not mechanically minded so don't do my own work. Also i do have an aftermarket exhaust which made a big difference

A small amount of oil (as in a bit of a dirty film) around turbo will be blow by from crank case and is normal. This blow by oil also goes through turbo causing premature wear. Nothing to do with seals. A catch can helps this.

Latest posts

Back