Fitting of canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanmachine

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a newbie to this site and to Navara's. I hoping someone can help me out with this question.

I have a 97 D22 dual cab. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Going great! I have also bought a canopy off Gumtree (Brahma brand) to fit on it. It came off another Nav and I have measured and it's the right size.

The problem is that there a factory fitted protector for the backlight (rear window). This is not a sports bar. I have attached a picture of it. This has to be removed to fit the canopy. I took out the bolts on the tub sides and all the bolts in a line underneath the backlight. I broke the paint seal and all looked set for it to come off. It didn't budge and I discovered a bolt each side at the end hidden between the cab and the tub in the one inch gap. The bolt is on the inside and the nut is spot welded to the frame. There is no way to access the bolt head!

Has anyone out there removed one of these before? If so, please let me know how. It seems like my only option is to undo the tub, move it back six inches to get enough space to undo the two bolts then put it all back. Is this a big job. I can see six bolts to undo under the tub but, if I'm only moving it a few inches do I need to consider any cables, the fuel filler etc?

I don't really want to cut off the bars to leave the base as i might like to sell the ute one day without the canopy.

It also seems that I will need to put something back in its place to raise the level under the backlight to the same as the tubs so that I get a good seal for the canopy.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
beanmachine

Attachments

• 2013-05-27 15.24.31.jpg
    2013-05-27 15.24.31.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 167
Hi All

Well last weekend I bit the bullet and worked on the ute and canopy. If anyone is interested.

I spray painted the canopy with primer, a few coats of base and then clear coat. I managed to remove the backlight guard on the ute by undoing and lifting up the tub. One bolt was so damn tight I nearly busted a blood vessel. Once I got the two bolts securing the guard undone the rest was easy.

I put the tub back on and then fitted the canopy. All is good except the door on the canopy does not shut properly because of the black plastic Nissan logo piece in the centre of the tailgate which is higher than the metal. It was obviously designed for a ute without this.

I will have to cut the canopy door to fit around this to give me a good fit.

I'll get there in the end.

beanmachine

Latest posts

Back