Lawn Mowers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy john

Reaction score
The problem with petrol is in a 2 stroke situation the fuel will go off within 30 day's once the oil is added. Unleaded by itself has a much longer storage life. You can buy a stabiliser to add if needed too.

The problem with petrol is in a 2 stroke situation the fuel will go off within 30 day's once the oil is added. Unleaded by itself has a much longer storage life. You can buy a stabiliser to add if needed too.
I guess that depends on the motor that you're running it through too haha. I have a jerry can mixed in the shed that I use for the brushcutter maybe a handful of times in winter and stored for the rest of the year and still starts and runs fine. I reckon the fuel in that jerry would be getting near 2 years old now hahaha. I just give it a good shake up before using it.

in stihl chainsaws, you have to mix the petrol with stihl oil, the mixture is garbage after 4-5 months. 2 years ago i stored a small 2stroke water pump engine and now it wouldnt started, pulled out the filter and the remaining petrol was deep orange smelling like crap, while most of it was turned to a solid mass. spent 100 euro to get the carburator cleaned, sucks!

Yes 2 stroke left in a machine for extended period solidifies and blocks the jets rendering the device useless. I have four chainsaws, if one is not to be used for a while I'll idle it and let it run out of fuel. You may be able to get Briggs and Stratton fuel stabiliser in your country, 20mls to 5 ltrs will see that fuel still ok after a year or more. I just noticed we are a bit off the origanal topic too.

you should allways remove all fuel from both the engine / carby and fuel tank when storing for some time. mixed petrol and oil in a carby is not good when left sitting as it gums up badly causing blocked jets etc etc. plus you don,t need to run Stihl 2 stroke oil in a stihl engine.

I havn't had a problem with my 2-stroke appiances - chainsaw, trimmer, blower, ect. I rarely use them, and the fuel can probably gets refilled once a year.
That said, my old dirt bike had a solid block of jelly inside the tank (and carby) after sitting in an open shed for 2 years. It took a lot of cleaning and I had to rebuild the carby. I don't know if its the type of oil, fuel, or humidity that does it. Wouldn't pay someone $200 to pull down a carby and put it back together though.
Also, Stihl oil is just castrol.

Now I understand! I have a 31 year old two stroke Victa that starts first rope pull EVERY time.... because I always turn the fuel off at the stop-cock below the tank and let the fuel run out.

This is very true, the Victa techs at a few service schools I attended years ago advised this practice to be done after every use. The problem with a Victa carby is most of the construction apart from the main jet is plastic ond over time petrol will break down the componants leading to the unreliable history most owners have experianced. Running it out of fuel when not in use is the best thing you can do.

My new Honda lawn mower (HRX217HYU) has a fuel tap but my whipper snipper and edger don't. Neither does my chain saw or garden vac (my only 2-stroke tools, the others are 4-stroke and my chain saw would be if they made one). Bit hard to force the whipper snipper to run out of fuel, it's designed to work at any angle.

You picked a top mower Tony, the self propelled is worth ever cent. With the non tap equipment just empty the remaining fuel via a funnel back into the can. Then fire it up and let it idle dry.

That mower also will pick up wet grass better if you hose the fabric catcher out. It presurises with dust and grass and reduces it's catching ability. Whoops, I'm way off topic now.

I still wake up with that issue most mornings...

Someone's still lucky.

It's a hydrostatic drive too. I had my doubts about that drive but the thing is awesome. Plus the double blades cut and throw the grass beautifully - yes, even wet grass.

I wonder if it's worth fitting fuel taps to the other devices?

It would be an overkill to fit taps, and as R/C suggests that other method would be a pain to do often. Though most of the failures we used to get in the shop were related to stale fuel or water contamination. Remember if you leave a fuel can in the night air water can condense and mix with the fuel.

Let's stay off-topic a bit longer! I have looked to replace my ever reliable 2-stroke Victa several times but none of the new 4 stroke stuff will come near it for cutting ability!

Let's stay off-topic a bit longer! I have looked to replace my ever reliable 2-stroke Victa several times but none of the new 4 stroke stuff will come near it for cutting ability!
The secret is high arch, high lift blades, high rev's. Victa has been famous for this since the late 60's. "Most" of the new models would give you the shits with all the blade brake and safety features, keep old reliable going.:offtopic:

I don't mind the blade brake to be honest. Don't have to keep restarting it when I let it go, it just idles along, and while the engine is running I can stick my hands in and remove excess grass if needed.

And the Honda's ability to pick up grass ... wow. I've owned an Ariens commercial - it's ok but once the catcher is 2/3 full it wants you to empty it. My Toro 21" (still have it, use it for rough stuff) likes to be emptied when it's about half full - it doesn't throw the grass in far enough, and that's with a clean catcher. The Honda throws the grass in really hard, and has a nice 19mm minimum cutting height which is superb for keeping cooch low. The catcher fills completely (88L catcher too!).

Interesting thread!

I have a Honda 21" SP mower in the shed, along with 2 x FS85 Stihl's (1 with a hedge trimmer attached), 2 x HT75 Stihl's (the guts in the pole collapsed on one after 11 years, so I bought another), MS660, MS260C, HS45, Makita 7901, Makita TH, Echo 350T, Echo 360T (not near as good as the 350!), Echo hedger, and...................................... a Chinese Pope whipper! Have also owned a Rover 22" SP mower, Huskies, cheap Chinese chainsaws & several other Honda's over the years.

I love Honda, Stihl & Echo! The Pope is the best $148 I've ever spent :)

The only real problems I've had are with the carbies on the Stihls, they don't like our fuel, it stuffs the diaphragm on them, even with constant use & fresh fuel.

Been running the Honda on 2 stroke for years, as I don't have any other 4 stroke gear. It makes it hard to start, but once started, it runs OK.

Latest posts

Back