cheap winches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlinejames

Reaction score
has anyone tried one of the cheap 12000lb winches off ebay
some look okay for 400 to 450, only will use it 4 times a year maybe
any thoughts on the budget conscious winch thread LOL
i was looking at giantz brand

Mate get either a grande or dominator from 4wd supacentre.
Same price and their solid winches

Yep the one's Ben suggests get good reviews. The main problem with cheap Chinese winches is water ingress into the gearbox and control box. If you can spare an hour to service and grease it every so often it will serve you well.

i got one about 3 years ago and ive used it dozens of times, its been great. I did pull it apart and do the grease etc, it was rubbish from factory

Yep the one's Ben suggests get good reviews. The main problem with cheap Chinese winches is water ingress into the gearbox and control box. If you can spare an hour to service and grease it every so often it will serve you well.

I keep forgetting to do mine, it's been there 3 years.

I've been told that the ARB deluxe winch bullbars are rated at 10,000lb and you can't fit a 12,000lb winch as it may distort the bullbar and possibly the chassis if overloaded. There are some 10,000lb winches available but much dearer than the 12,000lb Chinese ones so common now.

I've been told that the ARB deluxe winch bullbars are rated at 10,000lb and you can't fit a 12,000lb winch as it may distort the bullbar and possibly the chassis if overloaded. There are some 10,000lb winches available but much dearer than the 12,000lb Chinese ones so common now.
That is just ARB covering their arse and for good reason. A big pull puts stress on the mounting points of the bar on an acute angle It should be on a mounting plate bolted direct to the chassis like the alloy bar/winch combo's you see. I've got to update my dogman and crane licences now, the shit some knob with no idea wants us to do is plain silly. That aside you'll rarely winch hard enough to bend a bar in most situations.

I tend to agree with happy John.

What people try do these days is ridiculous. Just because the box says it can, and I might just as well do it. Doesn't mean you should im some instances.

Common sense isn't very common these days for some people.

If u want a cheap one, be sure to check their water crossing rules and guidelines.

Runva have a good one. Unless you want to be pulling it apart after every trip to service and dry it out.

Sent via smoke signals

If you're traveling alone when you need recovery, the costs really mount up - so balance the cost of your winch against the cost of having a towing/salvage company getting your gear out, plus the time wasted waiting for them to show up etc etc.

If you buy a winch and use it just once it'll have paid for itself. Oh, unless you're driving a Hilux, and you're bogged in a Coles car park trying to get the thing over one of their speed humps. Getting a flat tow by a kid on a skateboard is more cost-effective.

Latest posts

Back