Engine shudder/rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i took the hose off the pcv outlet, it does seem a bit better to drive then it was yesterday but its also 15°c cooler today so id put it down to that. Its alot worst on hot days

With lots of oil in the intake it could be running on the oil vapours.

I replaced a few silicon hoses that were leaking today. I noticed some oil in the intercooler, and the pipe work had a little oil in it.
I ended up putting the original cross over pipe back on and bypassed the intercooler. The car seemed more responsive with out the intercooler but was still pinging on take off. Egts were up 100c though so wouldnt run it non intercooled.
I think the difference had a alot to do with the more direct route the intake to 80 series airbox was hooked up with out the cooler pipes in the way.
Hooked up the intercooler again and setup my intake alot better. I managed to break the pcv to airbox attachment clean off the intake though so had to put a patch over it. Took it for another drive still some pinging if im not easy on the gas on take off but the car is going alot better

Last edited:
Is it worth removing the intercooler to clean out thos amount of oil?

Attachments

• 20171125_124928.jpg
    20171125_124928.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 46
if its not a too hard job to remove this cooler, i would give it a good clean out so then you know all is good. just think ? how long has it been since this was cleaned out.

Iv been running the intercooler for a couple of years now. It shouldnt be to hard to remove. I'll have to have a look how to clean them i think i remeber seeing it done with petrol?

Normally with petrol or kero is the easiest way. I'd be more inclined to plan on ripping the intake manifold off and give that a good clean. In saying that, replacing that catch can with a decent one and cleaning the intercooler is still worth doing.

Subaru do an upper engine cleaner that helps clean manifolds and combustion chambers, but I don't know how they go with turbo motors though. I have used one on a falcon I used to have and it did an OK job.

If there is years of egr soot and pcv oil baked in there though, only pulling it off and cleaning it properly will help it...

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

yes Subaru have the upper cylinder additive that you just connect to the inlet vacumm line on manifold side and squirt in slowly with the engine idling . it is designed for both the non turbo and turbo engines, costs approx $20. they also have another that you add to the fuel but i say the inlet manifold intake type is more effective in removing the carbon build.

Normally with petrol or kero is the easiest way. I'd be more inclined to plan on ripping the intake manifold off and give that a good clean. In saying that, replacing that catch can with a decent one and cleaning the intercooler is still worth doing.

Subaru do an upper engine cleaner that helps clean manifolds and combustion chambers, but I don't know how they go with turbo motors though. I have used one on a falcon I used to have and it did an OK job.

If there is years of egr soot and pcv oil baked in there though, only pulling it off and cleaning it properly will help it...

Yeah i want to have the inlet manifold cleaned. Iv never used engine cleaners not sure that i want to would rather do it properly

I removed the inlet manifold myself and cleaned it out following the instructions on the link below. It was pretty straight forward and I got a heap of tar out after 200k with no EGR blank.

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=25427

Iv seen that thread before its a great write up but think its something i would get my mechanic to do. I blocked mine at around 100k

Iv got so many things to repair on the nav at the moment i wont be able to get the manifold cleaned for a few months at least. So might look into the engine cleaners

Calibre catch cans are very simple. An inlet, an outlet, and an empty can underneath. No one-way valve or anything fancy. It's a Calibre, after all! It doesn't mean that the hoses can't get blocked.

Fair enough. No idea regarding Clalibre catch cans, I imagined they would have something in them to filter the vapors (don't cheapy ones run on steel wool or something?) and that could block up. Longshot anyway, but the symptoms sounded similar.

Fair enough. No idea regarding Clalibre catch cans, I imagined they would have something in them to filter the vapors (don't cheapy ones run on steel wool or something?) and that could block up. Longshot anyway, but the symptoms sounded similar.
Nah, most of the cheapies are just an empty can. People then fill them with steel wool or similar to try and help cool the vapour down and catch the oil. The other issue with them, especially on a diesel motor is usually the size of the fittings being a lot smaller than the pcv fittings on the motor. Not too much of an issue with an empty can, but can cause seals to blow out from excess crankcase pressure if you cram a lot of material in there to catch the oil.

Latest posts

Back