Please ease my stress

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicklePickle

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Purchased a 60k, 4x4, 2012 D22 S5 ST-R 2.5CR, YD25457427T about 3 months ago and after doing some reading tonight I've come to realise there is possible problems with the YD25, which saddens me because I love my Nav. Now before we go any further I know close to nothing about cars, so apologies for any miscommunication.
Supposedly, the YD25 has problems with the conrods, crankshaft, the bearings and timing belts. Something about them being made from cast iron and snapping or cracking easily and piercing the engine. I get anxious quite easy and after reading all this I don't really want to even drive my beloved Nav. If someone could tell me my chanced of it happening and whether or not I should just sell it or something..
If it's any help I live in Brisbane AUS and a lot of the stories of this happening were mainly UK. Would it have something to do with the cold so I'm safe in AUS? I don't know...

:sorry3:

It's worse than that, D22s have been threatened with fire (who remembers Aido) and a generally out-performed by old Volkswagens (I'm kidding).

At least it's not a Toyota. Word is that Toyota wants "IN" with the V8 Supercars and the other teams have finally agreed on a method of involving them - because of the incredible power of the Toyota, the other teams either had to surrender 7 spark plugs or switch to mobility scooters. Unfortunately NGK is the big loser in this but Toyota will finally stand a chance of remaining within 10 laps of the winner (in an 11 lap race) with this new agreement.

Ok, seriously - con rods busting through the block? Not in the Navaras. Had some GU30 Patrols melt piston crowns (and a couple may have busted rods as the piston siezed in the bore while the rest of the engine kept going) but the GU30-powered Navara has a slightly different setup and tune and didn't suffer from that (and that's the GU30, not the YD25 that you have).

Crankshaft in the YD25 is pretty solid, haven't heard of any bearing faults there. A couple of complaints about rear main seal but that's it for the crank area. Camshafts are turned over by chain not belt, and while some of the chains in the D40 version have snapped (and it's more likely because of a faulty tensioner) there's been very few problems with the D22 in that area. If you're concerned (with a side serving of spicy paranoia) then by all means grab a stethoscope and have a listen to the timing belt area which is the cover running right up the front of the motor.

yes don,t be turned off as your model is in the safe range of faults. the only thing you need to replace later down the track just like many other vehicles is the Timing Chain , so when you start to hear a rattle coming from the front of engine it could be a sign of timing chain slop . to prolong the life from your chain and tensioner you should make the effort to change the engine oil and filter every 5k using a genuine oil filter [ cheaper from ebay $22 ] and good quality semi or full synthetic oil such as Penrite 10w -30. both myself and my son own D-22 / 2.5 litre Navaras and have never had any issues atall in over 3 years . there a good truck.

The ones you have read about are the 2.5 Direct Injection motor. We never got this motor in australia, so don't have any of the problems associated with it. The only 2.5 we got here was the Common Rail one, which has stronger internals than what the Di motor had apparently.

the yd25 horror stories in Australia relate to the 05-09 model D40 STX and pathfinder R51 built in spain

majority of bad scenarios were due to timing chain failure

If you feel the need to have the timing chain and tensioner checked then talk to Paul at yd25 he is near the Brisbane airport otherwise as everyone else has said enjoy the nav.

Latest posts

Back