YD25 Replacment Turbo - Newcastle Region.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAFO

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am Near positive . . . . yeah 100% I did my Turbo Sunday Afternoon while towing my camper through the Dipper at Mooney Mooney Creek on the M1 south of Gosford Sunday afternoon.

Just wondering if any of the Newcastle locals have heard any bad reports about 'Graham Coates Automotive' at Blacksmiths?

Have relocated from Penrith and I now live in Blacksmiths, and have seen a few 4wd at Graham Coates Automotive, and as he is right around the corner from me I was looking at taking the Nav there for what I expect will be a turbo replacement job.

Have done a bit of a internet search this morning, but have found no real reviews on Graham Coates Automotive, so was just wondering if any of the Newcastle Locals have heard any bad raps about this Graham Coates Automotive?

Thanks John & Tony

The guy I spoke too was rather assertive that he had to use his spear parts suppliers parts (Repco I believe) for warranty reasons.

Either way . . . the car is booked in for a visit on Monday. I'll have a chat to them about Forefront Industries being my preferred replacement . . . go from there

I'd find out why it died before bolting on the replacement and driving it out of the workshop.

I'd find out why it died before bolting on the replacement and driving it out of the workshop.

Rumpig,

It's going into the workshop on Monday . . .
1st to establish what the issue is
2nd to get it repaired

but I am near 100% in my belief the turbo went

what were you actually doing when it went? i`m still learning about these diesels and towing!

^ Unless it shrieks like a banshee or made a loud bang, it might have been a control solenoid failure (either the solenoid, or the electrical connection) or the vac hoses.

Fingers crossed the mechanics are honest enough (and savvy enough) to spot that before ripping out the turbo and bolting a new one in - the new turbo won't perform very well if either of the others are toast!

what were you actually doing when it went? i`m still learning about these diesels and towing!

Bever,

I was towing my Jayco Camper down the M1 Freeway just pass Gosford towards Sydney.

I have has a little of a Skraeling noise for about 2 months . . . was hoping it as a idler wheel or fan clutch bearing starting to go as I have had done in pass cars.

First sign that something may have been a-miss was a metallic thud follow by two small metallic thuds about 30sec between each other . . . . car ran fine for about another 5min till I reached the big dipper just south of Mooney Mooney creek south of Gosford. Once I started to make the accent up the other side I notice loss of power

Attachments

• 14907023_10208065309975992_1598210864179644019_n.jpg
    14907023_10208065309975992_1598210864179644019_n.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 83
Doesn't sound convincingly like a blown turbo to me. If the turbo disintegrated you would have a large bang, lots and lots of smoke and a massive loss of power instantly, not just a small amount.

Does the engine run and sound normal? The problem could be something else entirely... Hope your mechanics diagnosis is as honest one...

Last edited:
had you been 4wding before hand? sometimes mud will get thrown a day or so later? hopefully it`s nothing much mate, good luck (((-; ps, what about electric brakes dragging too?

I've used graeme coates for years mate and he knows his stuff.
I grew up in pelican and recently moved to swansea.
I think I've seen your car around lol.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound convincingly like a blown turbo to me. If the turbo disintegrated you would have a large bang, lots and lots of smoke and a massive loss of power instantly, not just a small amount.

Does the engine run and sound normal? The problem could be something else entirely... Hope your mechanics diagnosis is as honest one...

Car still starts, runs and sounds normal . . . just no boost when you put your foot down. No there was no major bang . . . . no big puff of white or black smoke . . . but I have experienced the same before with a couple of truck turbos going as well . . . not always a big bang and a heap of smoke.

Will have an idea Monday arvo I guess . . .

I've used graeme coates for years mate and he knows his stuff.
I grew up in pelican and recently moved to swansea.
I think I've seen your car around lol.

That's what I wanted to hear and was hoping thanks Soybean . . .

Seen a thew 4wd in his yard while picking up my mail . . . so was hoping they were more old school type of a workshop which is good with all types of vehicles.

Car still starts, runs and sounds normal . . . just no boost when you put your foot down. No there was no major bang . . . . no big puff of white or black smoke . . . but I have experienced the same before with a couple of truck turbos going as well . . . not always a big bang and a heap of smoke.

Will have an idea Monday arvo I guess . . .
Fair enough. How many ks on it just out of interest?

Fair enough. How many ks on it just out of interest?

The D22 is a Nov 2011 Build . . . and it's got just over 170k on the clock . . . . all mine too.

Apart from the cracked exhaust manifold back in March . . . this is probably the worse that has gone wrong with it

Last edited:
I guess it depends how much boost you were pushing through it at the time. If the impeller has just seized rather than disintegrating then it may not have made a lot of noise. Have you got any gauges on it to monitor egt or boost?

Latest posts

Back