Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 General Chat

Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 AM

We've toured quite a bit with a D22; we live in Adelaide, so all of our trips begin here. To put that into context, this is a list of where we've taken a D22:

Gibb River Road – Bungle Bungles –Parry Lagoons - Old Jim Jim Road – Rainbow Valley – Oodnadatta Track – Mereenie Loop – Palm Valley – Chambers Pillar – Mt. Dare - Dalhousie – Old Ghan Heritage Track – Charlotte Waters - The Painted Desert – Lambert’s Centre – Finke – Cameron Corner – Innamincka via Epsilon – Dig Tree – Milparinka - Tibooburra - Warri Gate – Noccundra – the Dowling track – Hungerford to Eulo -Toompine - Betoota – Windorah – Birdsville – Big Red – Birdsville Track – Roper Bar – Nathan River Road- Lorella Springs – Borroloola – Savannah Way - Hells Gate – Doomadgee – Gawler Ranges – Flinders Ranges–Brachina – Bunyeroo – Aroona – Warraweena – Glass Gorge – Parachilna Gorge – Moralana – Holowiliena–the Wool Wash – Wilkawillina - Kangaroo Island –Arkaroola/Yunta Road - East & West MacDonnell Ranges, Nuccaleena – Morgan/Yunta Mail Run - Mt. Gambier & the SE of SA.

Most of that was towing either a camper trailer, or a caravan.

We had a canopy with lifting windows on our first D22 & the canopy was such a PITA that we traded the Ute on a new one after 2 long outback trips (GRR & Oodnadatta) I have never regretted that.

We run two fridges (actually, it was 3 fridges when we had the caravan) & recharge a 105AH AGM battery from our alternator while travelling & have always had adequate 12v power. We just have the stock D22 alternator in ours & it runs everything a treat.

The suspension is hard on bitumen. You will feel bumps on a bad tar road. Off road, or on dirt roads, the stock suspension works perfectly well. We're still running factory suspension without any issues.

Handling; other than the above, I've never once had any issues with the way a D22 handles, on or off road. Also, it's light, so it's easy to drive on sand.

Your thread has got me thinking about our trips touring with the D22 & I have to say that it's been a hoot!

Apart from being slow & the ride being a tad hard, it really doesn't have any other faults IMO. It's pure old school, with next to no technology and I love that! It has been ultra reliable.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2019, 01:28 AM

Just to follow up on this, ended up test driving again all day Monday and honestly apart from engine power the d22 won in every other regard including comfort and road noise (why do all d40's seem to have injector rattle, would drive me nuts!)
So I got a 2012 d22 with 120,000km, immaculate, well looked after with factory snorkel and an arb bullbar. Picking up a canopy tonight. One happy camper right here!

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Nice!

Congrats on your new (to you) car :)