D22 Engine Tick

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuie987

Reaction score
Hi guy's I'm getting some engine tick on start up n could use some help please.
I'm thinking maybe something to do with the belt's??i have tried to upload a recording but don't know if it worked..https://youtu.be/WwK4Qpp9omA

Last edited:
sometimes the tick tick sound with a cold engine is a sign of a crack in a manifold / joint of a faulty gasket at a joint. try starting up the cold engine and either feel for any air escaping around these areas or look for signs of dark soot at the joints. you need to do this quick before things get hot, also you can try some soapy water with a spray bottle at the joins look for bubbles.

try spraying the belts with wd40, my truck sounds like it`s gunna blow up for a minute or so in the mornings, unless i spray the belts about every 3 or 4,000 kms, in mine it is this. even a quick spray of water will shut it up, try it and see whether it`s only that, good luck (((-;

Hey mate,
I have a 2010 D22. Mine started of with a tick thought it was belts or loose pulley. But the spray didn't help. It's slowly got louder turned out it was my cam chain tensioner. Pretty common apparently. Done some more checks after that and found my bottem timing chain was about to snap. If you go into the yd25 website it gives u a break down on how to check you can chains and tensioners with feeler gauges. It was 1500 for a new timing chain kit. Put it myself. Better the 7 grand for a new engine if your chain let's go.

Latest posts

Back