weird noise in reverse and coming back through gears

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2greedy

Reaction score
Hi guy's

I have a 05 D22 navara ZD 30 and it has weird noise when under load in reverse or coming down through the gears hard.

It's like something is vibrating or growling? clutch isn't slipping! and only does it in reverse under load or when coming down through the gears hard?

any idea guy's? it has had this for months and nothing has broke yet but it is worrying me.

I wonder if it's just engine braking.

Mine (even though it's an auto, I can select a lower gear!) makes a growly sound as I'm going down a hill.

Does yours sound like it's coming from the engine, or from further back? It could be backlash in the diff, if it sounds like the diff, get some fresh oil, change it and look for metal particles in the oil that comes out.

yea mate sounds further back, nearly sounds like if you had 2 clutch plates and they were spinning against each other but trying to bind up at the same time? i know me vehicles but never heard a sound like this?

You actually do have that (clutches) in your diff. The wrong oil in a LSD could cause issues, the oil has to be specifically for a limited slip differential.

Who did the last service on the diff? Did they get the oil right or did they just drop gearbox oil in it?

It might be worth changing that oil out with the right stuff and seeing if the problem goes away.

Bit of a old thread revival, but did you discover the problem as mine seems to be having the same thing. Didnt start untill I had to do a big back up along a slippery overgrown track hear in tas for about 5 min, havent been able to work it out. Doesent feel like rear diff, but somthing up the front just behind the engine.

Bit of a old thread revival, but did you discover the problem as mine seems to be having the same thing. Didnt start untill I had to do a big back up along a slippery overgrown track hear in tas for about 5 min, havent been able to work it out. Doesent feel like rear diff, but somthing up the front just behind the engine.

No m8 still haven't solved it, but if you do please let us all know as i will you if i find out what it is.

I too am having a similar problem if I'm reversing up a steep driveway and makes a shocking loud noise under load

Could also try seeing if anything is vibrating against the chassis or something. I had a noise that would only happen at a certain rev and taking off. Ended up being a loose exhaust mount, but it sounded a lot worse than just than. Sounded like gears crunching to me.

Old thread but just wondering if you ever ended up sorting this out. Mines doing something that sounds identical to this at the moment. Had a clutch/gearbox mech take it for a drive today and he thinks it may be clutch but not sure. Sounds like its coming from front left wheel to me.

I had a similar horrid grinding, growling noise for ages. Replaced loads of shit but turned out to be the tyres in the end. Worth a try.

Nah pretty sure its not tyres. Thought it may have been a CV or Hub issue, so I decided to make a quick video to try and pinpoint it, but seeing as it does it in 2wd and 4wd, and the CV really doesnt do much in 2wd I think I have ruled that out. Have a bit of a watch and see if any one has any ideas.

http://youtu.be/pvvh_W_dsnU

Defo sounds like something rubbing or rattling. Have you had a look at the engine mounts? Seems to be related to engine revs? Also seemed to be doing it when stationary

Not sure about engine mounts, will have to check them out. When I was stationery I was actually reversing up my steepish driveway but I was stationery as I was holding the clutch right on the balance point.

Think I found it. Popped the bonnet on Friday arvo to check oil etc only to find the bonnet support rod had broken the plastic clip that holds it and it was now laying across the engine bay, obviously rattling on everything possible. Im not sure if thats what it was for sure, but since resecuring it on Friday and doing a few k's over the weekend it hasnt done it again since. Touch wood thats all it was. Thanks again all for your help trying to diagnose it.

Latest posts

Back