seal kit for a tailgate??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

308bever

Reaction score
hi, finally got my navara (((-; and i am now setting her up abit, i have an ARB canopy which looks pretty smart to me, i`m just wondering if there is a good way to seal the tailgate up so as to keep or cut down on the dust and water getting around it, thanks in advance.

I've used a couple pieces of rubber as a trim around the talegate. Has worked in reducing the dust and water to some degree. Only area I can't seal ATM is between the canopy side wall and top of tub, which I use plastic bags to seal this gap

Don't get me wrong,
It is a top idea to Seal the tub area. But always remembering if you do not seal it 100% from front to back.there is no way to allow the water to come out.just keep that in mind when trying to achieve a complete seal.also if you have a plastic tub liner in there.throw it away.so at least you can see if there is moisture in there.

All those things do is promote rust!!!!

Hope my two cents helped!

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

I just went to Clark rubber and and brought some single sided adhesive rubber compound strips. Only needed 1 meter and does both sides of the tailgate.
Stops 90% of dust even though it still has a gap under the tailgate.

looking into the ebay seal, i`ve got a d22 though! are they the same around the tailgate? thanks too.

hi tonyD22, that sounds good, do you have any pictures? ps, i see you have bonnet scoop protection! what is that? i`ve done the fuel cap holder mod, best $1.48 i`ve spent (((-;

G'day
Let us know how you go!!
Am curious to see if you can get a complete seal??

But if you do it.make sure you remove the plastic tub liner.
then you can see if there is water or dust coming in.

G'day
Let us know how you go!!
Am curious to see if you can get a complete seal??

But if you do it.make sure you remove the plastic tub liner.
then you can see if there is water or dust coming in.

I haven't got a liner but I need to think about sealing up the tailgate. Canopy build starts in just over a weeks time!

When I bought mine it already had a 30mm rubbery foam strip to seal the tail gate. I doubt it is massively waterproof but when I took the tub liner out to have my drawers installed there was f all dust/dirt under it. I'll take a photo of it when I get the Nav back from insurance

I personally wouldn't seal it. You want it to breathe a little bit, and like pocoyo said you want to do anything to prevent rust. Especially say in summer with a fridge running the slightly Lil air gap could be a good thing. Just my opinion pal. I have a arb canopy on mine and haven't sealed the tailgate. Just i hose it out after camping and leave the windows open for a day and do e its clean.

hi tonyD22, that sounds good, do you have any pictures? ps, i see you have bonnet scoop protection! what is that? i`ve done the fuel cap holder mod, best $1.48 i`ve spent (((-;

I'll get a pic tomorrow.
Bonet scoop protection just stops the bugs and crap getting to the intercooler.
All it is is aluminium mesh held in place behind the air inlet on the bonet scoop.
I think I have a closer pic in my members ride thread.

I'll get a pic tomorrow.
Bonet scoop protection just stops the bugs and crap getting to the intercooler.
All it is is aluminium mesh held in place behind the air inlet on the bonet scoop.
I think I have a closer pic in my members ride thread.

That's something I must get around too! Also for the radiator too.

Here is my seal strip.
It is self adhesive on one side.
The bit that sticks out I had to rub the adhesive until it became non sticky so it wouldn't stick to the tailgate.
th_20141030_173130_zps4abd3511.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks tony, i think i can do something like that for the sides, what about across the bottom edge?

Below is how I did up the skirt

The rubber trim below is what I used on the tub sides, cutting off one side of the raised rubber and securing it to the sides of the tub with a metal strips and small nut/bolts as seen in image 1809.

http://cfrubber.com/rubber/Rubber Seal.jpg

In image 1809, the white chalk marks on the rubber indicate how well it seals up against the tailgate when it's shut, near no gaps at all at either side
View attachment 1809
uploadfromtaptalk1414654958801.jpg

The rubber strip below is about 50mm wide and 4mm thick and held in place with what ever those carpet metal trims are
uploadfromtaptalk1414654975602.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414654940805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414654940805.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Back