My D22 Build

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought I'd start a build thread, I need to keep track of what I want to do and have done already.

The basics: I picked up a cheap 2005 D22 dual cab, it's an ex mine vehicle so it's has had a rough 8 years of living so far. But with any luck I'll be able to get in there and clean out most of the junk, replace some worn/broken parts and it should be sturdy enough to see me through another 5 years or so until I buy another car. As far as I know it's dead stock apart from the steel tray.

Plans:
Clean it, I'm contemplating going OCD on it and removing all/most panels and getting in and giving it a really good scrub. There's a fine layer of magnesite on nearly everything. If you've never owned a mine vehicle (I'd probably recommend don't bother) but the amount of places that the dust has gotten is just ridiculous. Inside the instrument cluster, no idea how I'm going to clean that yet.

Tray to tub conversion, most people usually go the other way, but I want a tub - I think they've got a much nicer line, especially when combined with a canopy, of which I'll be looking at getting not long after the tub goes on. Ultimately looking for a camper/tourer, so I'll be grabbing an awning as well.

Dual battery/ points for fridge etc, long way down the track.

EGR Mod, I think it's the most common thing to do? Have ordered the plate, so that'll happen when it arrives.

Probably 2" Lift, wheels/tyres - Haven't really thought about what I'd need, or whether or not I'd want/need body lift as well yet.

Spotlights/Light Bar. Work lights.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Pressing issues:
Because of it's previous treatment, some things aren't working as nicely as I'd like. For example, aircon is non existent, 1800 dollar quote to fix - compressor and condenser needed. Will probably order off ebay.
Thinking the alternator pulley is shagged.
There's a rattle that comes on intermittently, no idea where it is - have narrowed it down to near the transfer case. Sounds a mix between a rattling washer/ metal on metal scraping noise.
Gearstick gets ridiculously hot - apparently it's normal? Wouldn't mind looking into chucking in some insulation or something to minimise that.
Need to replace light bulbs in dash.

Apart from all of that, I can't wait. It seems like a solid car and it should easily do what I'm asking of it. I'll get some pictures up soon, weathers been a bit rough and I haven't had a chance to grab any.

Last edited:
my gearstick shroud can get a little warm but not "rediculous".... you got a bit to do matey :)

Tonnes to do! Not really looking forward too the work, but the final product should be worth it.

And yeah, gearstick gets too hot to touch for longer than a few seconds. I'm suspecting I may have problems because of all the crap caked on underneath the car.

Just went to replace dash cluster bulbs, fingers weren't small enough haha, I guess I'll wait until tonight.

Well, rainy weekend weather so nothing got done really.

Ripped the pinstripes off. Literally, paint came with them. Oh well.

Cleaned the engine bay and stuffed around. Diff oil and gearbox oil got changed.

Will do motor oil, filter and fuel filter. Possibly even air filter.

Might order a snorkel, and Egr plate arrives next week.

Last edited:
Needed to change the belt today.
Thought I'd do the tensioner while I was there.

That led to wanting to do the alternator pulley while I was there.

Ordered a condenser and a compressor off eBay. Along with some grab handles for the interior.

Keen to start sorting stuff out.

New compressor/condenser are in.

Unfortunately I've had some major squeaks happening with the idle tensioner, dropping it off with my mechanic tomorrow as I've just had enough, probably get him to go genuine tensioner/belt combo. And just put the gates belt in the tool bag as a spare, may sell it even.

Also, the two week old alternator pulley is now making noise after a/c install. I think I threw out my receipt as well.

Apart from that. EGR mod done. Exhaust is shagged so that's on the list of things to do, along with fuel filter/air filter.

Gearbox/Clutch is making a terrible noise, but apart from ALL of that, hopefully taking it camping over easter.

I ended up putting a genuine tensioner in after the non genuine one was no good.

Sourced a tub but drove into it, so I've got another one sorted. Hopefully will be putting that on in the next few weeks.

Have to get the oxy on the bulbar and straighten out some dents. Gearbox is still making noise, steerings really loose as well.

So after the tub, it'll be steering/box fix up, then saving for wheels/tyres.

Alrighty, I got the tub on! Needless to say, for all those people saying that newer tubs won't fit, they're incorrect. Mines an 05 and I got a tub off a 2011 str and all holes lined up fine.

Also got the oxy on the bulbar and fixed most of the dents. Still need some minor fine tuning, I think I'll just leave it for now and get the metal filler into it instead.

Possibly this weekend I'll drop the front flares off and paint them, and possibly paint the wheels black. There's too much white otherwise, defitely need new wheels though, these sit way inside the guards.

Currently missing some of the guard plastics for the rear. And I'm unsure as to how the fuel filler neck plastic fits in? If anybody can help me with that?

Then it's off to finally get the gearbox and steering fixed.

You won't want to sell it after you fix all that. It's more like an old dog you rescued from the pound. You will either keep it because of all the work you have done and become attached or sell it because your sick of working on it. Hope it keeps chugging along for you.

Yeah I think I'll be driving it into the ground now :D

e56rw0bYoEF5lkAk8cQ3RQ3Gp6GQWDZ6LuKEVAqLVtY.jpg

looks heaps better with black wheels, going to paint the back flares black?

looks like it has scrubbed up ok for a old mine type ute, noe you just got to get the mechanicals sorted and your sweet!

keep an eye out for some cheap STR wheels and it will look tops!

bryan

Cheers mate, they look tiny though don't they!

And nah I'm going to go the other way, painting the front flares white. Will probably do that next friday when I've got my longer weekend.

Might even treat it to a good cut and polish soon as well.

It's good to see your bringing it back to its former glory. Keep the updates coming.

Nothing at the moment. Will paint the flares one day soon. Funds are tight at the moment.

I'm saving for tyres, that's a 1400 plus wheels expense.

So really not much for another few months.

Latest posts

Back